Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alexandros5933 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2009, 10:42 PM
    Returning to Greece my birthplace with life savings
    I have dual citizenship in USA and Greece. I want to return permanently to Greece and already have a small bank account their. I have approx $250K to go back home with.
    Questions
    1) Do I just wire this money or use a more economical currency converter firm to convert this into Euro's and then in to the Greek Bank

2) By repatriating myself to the country of birth, I have already paid taxes on these funds in USA. How do I find out if this is a taxable event ONE MORE TIME??
    Alexandros
    acrules3 Posts: 76, Reputation: 3

Jan 1, 2010, 01:38 PM

You are allowed to do what is called a "metoikesia", which provides you with tax free transfer of your entire "oikoskevh" - including a car, appliances, etc.

Your local Greek consulate can give you more info, but overall you should not be taxed for bringng foreign cash into the Greek economy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Greece citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

I wish to obtain citizenship in Greece. I was born in the United States. Can I obtain citizenship in Greece and if so how would I go about doing that?

Law of citizenship in Greece [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me? I am American-Greek, I was born here is America. My Husband and I are thinking about moving to Greece. My grandfather is 100% greek;however, he was not born in Greece. His Mother, my great-grandmother was born there, his father was to. Can I...

Looking for someone who lives in Greece [ 3 Answers ]

If there is anyone one on this board that lives in Greece that can help me I would appreciate it. The person I am looking for is male from Kalamata. Last I heard is that he moved to an Island in Greece. He was part of O.Y.K (Hellenic Navy) in the early 90"s His name is George Drolias Send...

View more questions Search