Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ussbridge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2009, 02:59 PM
    Can you "reclassify" money in a Notes Payable account to an Equity Account?
    I'm the bookkeeper for a small, privately owned, company. When the owner originally purchased the company, he borrowed money from Joan (his mom) as well as his personal finances. These loans were booked (in QuickBooks) as two separate Notes Payable. Now the company is going out of business. The owner will be personally responsible for an SBA loan and other payables. This weekend, the Owner "modified the loans" (as he puts it) and moved the dollar amounts in the Notes Payable accounts into the Equity account on the books. The result was the Notes Payable accounts were zeroed out and the Equity account reflects an additional $80k. Is this wrong? Is this illegal? He obviously did this for tax purposes. How concerned should I be?
    Thank you
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 13, 2009, 03:29 PM

You are not responsible for how the owner arranges his books, you are only a bookkeeper. You just record what he wants you to do. Just do your job and leave at the end of the day.

Tick
    Booky Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2009, 05:12 PM

Actually what the owner did was okay. In actuality, the money will not be repaid by the company so it really was never a loan (backed by recent IRS court decision), it was additional capital paid in. Reclassifying the payable into capital is exactly how it needs to be. He doesn't get any tax break for putting money into a dying business. How he settles up with his mom and the money she loaned to him, is between the two of them.
    slynnadams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 11:46 AM
    Booky,
    Can you site the recent IRS court decision? I'm actually dealing with the same situation. Thanks.
    Musa89 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 12:07 PM
    Put simply, notes payable is a liability which could not be termed as capital. But a loan by a family member does not stand to be a liability if there were no intentions to be bound into legal relation, this way the treatment could be justified.
    Sonur Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2014, 10:33 AM
    Can you reclassify a bank loan as an adjustment on the income statement?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2014, 04:54 PM
    This isn't a bank loan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Sold old furniture on account $ 6000" how do we record in sales journal ? [ 3 Answers ]

In the above the name of customer is not given so what shoud we write in sales journal?

Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Who would win between these 2. Oscar De La Hoya "Golden Boy" vs Floyd "Money" Mayweather Part 2 My vote is for Oscar to win this time by unanamous decision.

"Titled" account [ 1 Answers ]

This is great information and thank you to all who are generous with answers. I just joined the 'being sued' and until I can get in to see attorney, I have been told to contact my bank and have my account "titled." I've started this and bank is working on it now. Maybe someone knows exactly what...

"error code 008 in gmail account" [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I've to send a psd file to someone but my gmail account is unable to send even a jpeg file.how manage it?

View more questions Search