Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2007, 06:51 AM
    Dishwasher Question
    Hey guys,

Last night on the Discovery Channel I saw a segment on dishwashers in a program titled " How It's Made".
    They took you through assembling a diswasher. One of the things they touched on was a internal grinder that ground up the food so that larger chunks wouldn't hang up in the discharge hose.
    Can any body shed some light on this? Is it a feature on newer washers or is it a standard on older ones as well. Any information on this would be welcome. Thanks, Tom aka speedball1
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 7, 2007, 07:32 AM
    I looked through the manual of my new dishwasher and nothing showed up about a grinder. They still say to wipe/rinse leftover food off dishes before hand so as top clog up discharge.
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Jun 7, 2007, 04:20 PM
    I remember reading about this on some of our older dishwashers. I seem to recall it was nothing special - it was just that the pump basically did the grinding for you.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jun 7, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Tom, mid and upper end dishwashers have a grinder that chews food up and the lower priced ones only have a drain. Consequently, one must rinse food off items on the cheaper ones or risk having the d/w stop up. If the d/w has this grinder feature, it truly works, at least on my Kenmore Ultrawash that's about 7 or 8 yrs old. I used to sell them also.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 8, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Thanks guys,

I'm attempting to resolve a air-gap problem over on the plumbing page. Thanks again, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore elite dishwasher question [ 3 Answers ]

The lock light on the dishwasher won't turn off so none of the other buttons will work ,how do I get the lock light off so the control panel will work ?:confused:

GE dishwasher [ 1 Answers ]

I have a used GE Dishwasher. Do I hook it up to the hot water or cold water supply line?

Dishwasher water hookup question [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Kenmore, how do I hook up the water line to it, it came with no hoses.

Dishwasher question [ 1 Answers ]

Speedball, I was hoping you would provide me with some additional information on the air vent that's on the sink. I don't know if you are understanding me, or I am using the wrong terminology. Another plumbing expert, on another site, said water is not suppose to come up through the air vent. You...

View more questions Search