Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anthony923 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2016, 01:58 PM
    Dryer ducy vent
    I would like to change my dryer duct/vent to metal duck. I have the standard flex now and it gets clogged too much and dryer takes forever to dry. Someone said to get 3" hard round metal? Any suggestion or directions on how to do this?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 6, 2016, 02:14 PM
    Are you talking about the short piece between the dryer and the wall or inside the wall?
    anthony923 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2016, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Are you talking about the short piece between the dryer and the wall or inside the wall?

Yes, the one that goes inside the wall , but in my case it's in my crawl space which is about 4 ' high. So the short flex goes down through the floor into crawl space and attaches to the long piece then goes through the concrete wall. The long piece is what is giving me the issue. Its about 20'

Thanks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2016, 06:34 PM
    20 ft. is too long, particularly in a crawl space. When you use the dryer in winter, the water vapor condenses and the lint gets stuck in the tubing. In an unheated crawl space you will always have this issue with 20 ft. of duct. Dryers are usually on an outside wall, no chance of direct outside vent?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 6, 2016, 07:32 PM
    I agree, 20 ' is just too long for any type of dryer vent. The lint is not traveling with enough force or volume to keep it from settling to the bottom of the pipe. Unless your house is more than 40' long there must be a closer route.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2016, 08:45 AM
    You need a filter box behind the dryer with a slide out filter. You may find one online (See: Vent Filters - Replacement Filters | National Allergy Supply) or have one made at a sheet metal shop.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inside dryer glowing at vent. Outside of dryer very hot? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore electric dryer. The inside was glowing orange through the vent. The outside was very very hot especially on the top. Not sure of the problem.

Dryer Vent into Heater Vent? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it possible OK to feed a dryer vent into an already existing heater vent? I am thinking of installing a dryer in the middle of lower level two story house. The closest vent is the heater in the closet with the heater and water heater. Is it OK to run the went from the dryer into one of these...

My electric dryer vent from dryer to wall collects A LOT of water. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an electric dryer which is vented through the attic to the roof. The vent from the dryer outlet to the wall collects a *HUGE-* amount of water resulting in an excessive amount of drying time (if I'm lucky, they finally dry!). When I emptied the vent & rehooked everything up, I noted that...

Would a clogged dryer vent keep a dryer from turning on? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a relatively new GE stack W/D - would a clogged dryer vent keep the dryer from turning on? Does it have a sensor to keep it from turning on if it senses a blockage?

Connecting dryer vent to bathroom vent? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know if I can connect my dryer vent to my bathroom vent using a t-connection? Thanks Me

View more questions Search