Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danpatm Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2011, 04:07 PM
    New compressor
    I got the compressor the other day and I'm in the process replacing the compressor. I have 2 types of brazing material types are HARRIS O PHOS/COPPER BRAZING ALLOW .050X 1/8 and the other is SILVALOY EXCEL 15 .050X 1/8. Which one should I use for this project. And on the new compressor there is like some rubber bushing on the three outlets, do I just remove(rubber bushing) and start soldering. This is the first time I changed a compressor on a ice machine (manitowoc 1804). Any information will help. Dan
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2011, 08:26 AM
    You have to remove the rubber plugs to install the compressor. The compressor is filled with dry nitrogen to protect it from moisture. You have to vacuum out the unit when finished leak testing unit. I like 15% at a minimum, but 49% silver alloy wire is best to solder to the compressor with sodium fluoride flux. With either one you have to have the heat just right to prevent oxidation and to make sure the solder flows well into the joint. It must get red hot and the solder must flow well. Many people underheat the joint causing a leak or over heat it causing oxidation whereby the solder will not stick to the thin copper coating over steel on the fitting which is why I prefer 49% silver. You must clean joints well and apply flux and heat well until red hot and solder flows well. If done correct flux will float off and vaporize and the joint will be good. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air conditioning compressor fan won't turn on. Compressor hums [ 3 Answers ]

Fan is now turning after I nudged it with a screwdriver. However, air is not cooling.

Heat pump outdoor fan runs not compressor voltage at compressor good. New compressor [ 1 Answers ]

Have a new compressor. Just replaced fan runs compressor does not, have voltage at the compressor plug? What could stop from coming on high side and low side equal at 100psig.

Amana air conditioning compressor fan runs but compressor does not [ 9 Answers ]

I have an Amana Model RCE30A2B Compressor unit installed it is about 6 years old, the compressor will not cut in when demanded yet the cooling fan for the unit does

Ac compressor [ 1 Answers ]

Car turns off when ac is turn on

View more questions Search