Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dannsonny Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 08:07 AM
    Changing three prong dryer outlet to four prong outlet
    How do I wire a newer four prong dryer outlet to replace an older three prong outlet?
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Sep 29, 2009, 08:41 AM

You'll need to open the outlet box first and see how many wires are in it. If you have 4, red, black, white and a bare or green ground then you are all set. Red and black go to the L1 and L2 connections, doesn't matter which. White goes to N and the bare or green to G.

In an older home, if you have only 3 wires, black, white (may be marked black or red), and a ground in the box then you can't do this. You can call an electrician to run a new cable to your dryer or you can replace the cord on the dryer with a 3 prong version.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 29, 2009, 09:02 AM
    Hold it! You cannot just swap out line cords.

If the new dryer is not designed to handle a three wire connection, you must change the circuit from a 3 wire to a 4 wire all the way back to the panel. Also, you must use the correct AWG (size) Conductors. For example, a 30 amp dryer would need to have 10/3 AWG conductors.

On the older 3 wire setups both the Equipment Grounding Counductor and the Neutral were tied together.

On 4 wire designs, neutral and ground are designed as separate connections.

In part to meet the current code that the only place that the EGC and Neutral can be bonded together is the main service panel.

If you do not match the new connections correctley, you could end up with a difference of potential between the dryer skin and the grounded conductor (Neutral).

This can have shocking consequences!
    medic-dan Posts: 321, Reputation: 23

Sep 29, 2009, 10:45 AM

You're right Don. I should have let him know that.

Check the directions that came with the dryer, some are convertible, some aren't.

If it's not convertible you'll have to do as Don said, change the dryer feed all the way back to the service panel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert 4 prong 240 generator outlet to 3 prong [ 6 Answers ]

How do I make an extension cord from my 4 prong 240 twist generator outlet to a 3 prong 240 outlet for my radial arm saw?

Converting regular 3 prong electrical outlet to dryer outlet [ 3 Answers ]

We just bought a stacking washer and dryer and now the electrical cord on the dryer won't reach down to the existing dryer outlet. Is there any way to convert a regular 3 prong outlet that is close enough into a dryer outlet?

Wiring a 3 prong plug to a 4 prong outlet [ 15 Answers ]

In my Laundry room I have a 4 prong plug for my dryer. I have a 3 prong plug on my welder. They are both 220 and I have everything I need to make an extension cord in cluding wire, plug and receptacle and gang box. I know how to wire the ground but am not sure where to put the black and white...

3 prong dryer outlet [ 7 Answers ]

I just moved into an old farm house. The 3 prong dryer outlet has a different configuration than the 3 prong pigtail on my dryer. All three outlet connections are a flat. My dryer cord has 2 flat and 1 that is a 90 degree plug. Do I have to replace the actual outlet or is there a cord I can get to...

Changing 4 prong dryer plug to work with 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dryer I haven't been able to use. I moved into an older house and bought a wall outlet to match the plug that's on the dryer. The problem is, any way I rewire the outlet with given wires it won't work.

View more questions Search