Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hiking1611 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2009, 04:44 PM
    Price to replace a 17 year old hot water heater if necessary
    We moved into a house that is now 17 years old.

The hot water heater is leaking from the bottom and the plumber is coming on Friday. The tank is raised on cement blocks and it looks like the water is under the blocks.

Are hot water heaters repairable or do they have to be replaced?

It is an American - Ameri-Glass
    Model - EFR40-80
    It is 75-86 gallons

I need to know the approximate price to replace it if necessary.

Thank you so much.

:confused:

Ldc
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 04:54 PM

80 gallon water heater are you sure? How big is this house? Is this a gas or electric unit?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2009, 05:49 PM

40 gallon heaters are typical for the home and you may typically get 10-12 years out of it. Tanks are not repairable.
    There are other reasons they can leak.

You failed to mention whether it's gas or electric. A 40 gal gas heater might run you about $1200-$1500 with labor for a 40 gallon unit. Labor rates are different everywhere. An 80 gal heater will run considerably more.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 05:52 PM

A water heater capacity is not rated like this "It is 75-86 gallons" There is a definite volume, no range. No matter, they can't be repaired and I sure would not try on a unit this old. The tank can run you $400- $600 plus installation but we still need to know the true volume and the fuel source.

Jun 3, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Actually, it is a very large unit -- probably twice the size of the one that we had in another house.

This house is a two-story -- five bedrooms -- three bathrooms -- 3600 square feet

Jun 3, 2009, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshdta View Post
    80 gallon water heater are you sure? how big is this house? is this a gas or electric unit?
    It is electric

Our house is 3600 sq feet -- five bedrooms -- three bathrooms

The unit is very large
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2009, 11:18 AM

Here is some prices of gas and electric water heaters at Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...s&N=4294961544

I'd budget between $1500 and $2000.

Electric is typically easier to install.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace hot water heater [ 4 Answers ]

My hot water heater is old and leaking and I need to replace. I'm not sure about all the copper piping and all. Can you tell me where I should start?

Water Heater: When to replace? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a general question: How do you know when it is the appropriate time to replace your hot water heater? My home was built in 1995 and it still has the original hot water heater. For the last 6-12 months, we have been experiencing a lack of hot water in the morning, especially when we...

Apollo Hydroswirl 75 gallon Gas Water Heater leaking, replace? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, My Apollo Hydroswirl heater installed in 1992 began producing less hot water than normal so I did what any good homeowner would. Nothing. Ha ha Unfortunately, the reduction in hot water forced me to make an inspection under the house. I will attach several pictures for your consideration...

Can I use 3500 watt water heater elements to replace 3800 watts? [ 3 Answers ]

I haven't actually pulled the elements yet but the tag on the water heater shows elements rated at 3800 watts. The ones readily available at the local big box are even numbered, 3500, 4500,5500. Can I use the 3500 watt rated elements to replace elements in this water heater?

Dual-system water heater: how long do they last, how much to replace? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I own a condominium that I've been renting for many years. It has a dual-system water heater (if I understand correctly it also heats the condo as well as the water?). I've had the same unit since the condo was new in December 1996. We've had to call in a plumber twice in the last...

View more questions Search