king-of-science Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 08:09 AM
    What is pressure cooker
    How does a pressure cooker work ?
    Explain why the time to cook something is so much shorter
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2008, 04:23 AM

Increasing the pressure while keeping a volume constant a provides an additional increase in temperature, according to

Since volume is constant,

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Increasing the pressure while keeping a volume constant a provides an additional increase in temperature
    I think the cause and effect here is backwards, and it ignores the effect of water turning to steam in a closed container. You put the pressure cooker on the stove and that heats up the air & water inside. There is an increase in air pressure as the temp goes up (because the lid is sealed V is constant, so as T rises P rises). The big deal though is when the water heats up enough to boil - now you get steam which is confined within the cooker and the pressure really increases. Using the ideal gas law PV=nRT, you have just increased n, which is the number of moles of gas in the container. So P increases dramatically. And the food cooks quicker because the water vapor in the steam has a higher heat content than dry air - that's why you can instantly be scalded by hot water at 200 degrees F but not by hot air at the same temperature.
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2008, 02:20 AM

I forgot that formulae (PV=nRT):o. What's 'R'?:o
    Expert

Oct 30, 2008, 05:43 AM
    I forgot that formulae (PV=nRT):o. What's 'R'?:o
    R is the ideal gas constant, which makes the units work out. See:
    Gas constant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2008, 12:30 AM

Darn, if I understood well, another irrational number...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2008, 12:51 AM

Hi, king-of-science!

In addition to the fine answers that you've already received here, have you tried the following search?

How a Pressure Cooker Works - Google Search

Thanks!
    Expert

Oct 31, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Darn, if I understood well, another irrational number...
    Why do you think R is an irrational number? It's just a constant that has been measured to some level of accuracy. Without getting too far off track from the original topic - for all practical purposes we treat all measurements and constants in nature as rational numbers in so far as there's a limit to how accurate anything can be measured. You can determine the value for a constant like R to perhaps 8 or maybe 10 decimal places, but even though the digits may not repeat that doesn't mean that R is fundamentally an irrational number. Nor does it mean that it's a rational number - it's impossible to tell. Even if you could measure R to a million decimal places that still wouldn't determine it. There is always a level of uncertainty in all measurements, and within the bounds of uncertainty in the measurement there are an infinite number of possibilities, both rational and irrational.
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2008, 01:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Why do you think R is an irrational number? It's just a constant that has been measured to some level of accuracy. Without getting too far off track from the original topic - for all practical purposes we treat all measurements and constants in nature as rational numbers in so far as there's a limit to how accurate anything can be measured. You can determine the value for a constant like R to perhaps 8 or maybe 10 decimal places, but even though the digits may not repeat that doesn't mean that R is fundamentally an irrational number. Nor does it mean that it's a rational number - it's impossible to tell. Even if you could measure R to a million decimal places that still wouldn't determine it. There is always a level of uncertainty in all measurements, and within the bounds of uncertainty in the measurement there are an infinite number of possibilities, both rational and irrational.

Ok, I was just saying it like that...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Canning pressure cooker vs hot water bath [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any reason why you can't use the pressure cooker vs the Hot water bath for canning fruits and jams

Canning using a pressure cooker [ 1 Answers ]

I am canning carrots with a pressure cooker. I used quarts and have some left over so I want to use pints. The pressure cooker booklet says it holds max of 10 pint jars. Can I do say 4 at a time? That's about all I have left would be. Would this change the time or pressure?

Canning fresh veg with pressure cooker [ 1 Answers ]

Hepl please i bought a pressure cooker and in their manual it list how to cook all foods but not how long to pressure cook can foods. I want to can fresh string beans and there is no time table on any fresh vegtables to be canned my pressure cooker is 15 psi. could someone help me on this. My...

Pressure cooker use/manual [ 1 Answers ]

I have a brand new pressure cooker. It has the pressure rocker, a safety valve, a safety lock and It does not seem to build up pressure. I see steam comes from the safety lock. Where is the user manual? No idea. Can someone help me find where I can get a user manual, or tell me what's wrong with...

Rice Cooker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a National Rice Cooker Model SR-GE18N, Last week , the displace show (H3),and all function stop, seems have some code to lock all functon, I worder any body have the same problem or any solution. Thanks

View more questions Search