Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pican00 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Removing Tub Spout
    I know this has been discussed in length, but I don't want to bust something trying to do it the wrong way. I have tried to turn the spout counterclockwise and it won't budge. Any ideas?

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2008, 03:37 PM
    What tool are you using..

If you are really concerned... (doesn't look like you need to be)... then can hold against yourself at the elbow with a pair of pliers or similar.

The valve looks to be in good enough shape that you just need to go for this. Hold against yourself if you want and then grab the small end of spout with pliers and go for it.

If not saving the tub spout... just insert pliers into spout end, and just twist (will make SNAP sound, but will be fine). Or just use a larger plier or a wrench...

I am telling you... you will be fine here. If you start to see that the copper pipe begins to twist excessively then stop... but copper won't just break.

I am going to wait right here until you go do this and be done with it... ;)

Get back to me.. cause I am waiting... :)

Mark

May 7, 2008, 03:43 PM
    Ok, call me dumb, but you are saying to just twist it off? I have even tried a pipe wrench over a cloth, nothing. I would prefer to save the spout, it was replaced by a plumber a couple years ago.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Replacement tub spout is $11.00.

I know this is not something you do often... but I have removed 100s of these (two broke, but pipe was rotted or completely seized.. and you know.. there was nothing I could have done to fix that).

You can't be gentle. Just put cloth over and "SNAP" that wrench so you TWIST this off... Then if necessary, like I said above, replacement is $11.00 at home depot.

Worst case, it breaks... so what.. I promise I will talk you through fixing it.. ;) And I am not trying to be smart A**.. I know this is serious.. I also know this is how you do it and get it done!!

Let me know.

May 7, 2008, 03:49 PM
    OK, going now! Thanks, will let you know how it goes.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Good luck...

May 7, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Boy do I feel like a dummy, it took all of 30 seconds once I grabbed the end of the spout with a pair of pliers. A little scratched, but not too bad, and $11 is nothing compared to everything else. Now to put the new tub in! I am sure you will be hearing from me again. Thanks again.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Glad I could help Pican00

And believe me.. you aren't dummy.. you're doing great!!

If have time and care to rate may answer... please do. Thanks... Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing stuck bathtub spout [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to remove a bathtub fill spout that has a pipe thread near the water outlet. With a mirror I can see the end of what looks like a copper male threaded fitting. It looks like it has plenty of calcium/mineral buildup. I am hesitant to apply too much force with a lever since the...

Removing faucet handle after removing screw on top [ 7 Answers ]

My hot water is leaking.. I remove the top screw on the handle; the handle won`t come off.. should I try and pry it off or is there another screw somewhere that I don`t know about? This is a two handle-one spout faucet.

Problems Removing a Tub Spout [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently trying to remove the tub spout from my bath. I have the one with the screw underneath the spout. I think I may have stripped the screw please help with suggestions on how to remove the screw/spout without damaging the pipe. I am able to turn the spout around without any problems....

Removing bathtub spout - no hole [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have read the Q/A's on the site, but can't find an answer to this one. First, I have a Delta faucet. It looks like Delta Faucet T13422-SOS on the www.deltafaucet.com website. (There are a few more that look like this, but it has the diverter plug on the spout.) The difference is that...

View more questions Search