Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thomasb1942 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2006, 08:33 AM
    Replace overhead microwave
    The microwave over my stove needs to be replaced.
    How do I remove this old microwave?
    It is a GE. I plan to replace with Whirlpool. Will I have any mounting problems with the new one?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2006, 09:10 AM
    Really need the model number of both units, with that information the installation instructions can be found at the manufacturers website to review how to remove the GE, and what is involved to install the Whirlpool.

I have installed several of these units, but I never notice the brand. Most of the units, the actual microwave is an insert into a metal case or shelf that is attached to the wall studs and the surrounding cabinets. And most but bot all, are plugged into an outlet that is installed in the upper cabinet.

Some of the early units were actually hard wired, no cord and plug. These are a bit more difficult to remove , the cable needs to be disconnected from the unit before you slide out the insert.

Look for screws underneath and towards the front of the unit attaching the insert to the outer shell. Then the unit should slide out.

Be sure the dimensions of the new unit match the available space, and the newer units are using a plate that is bolted to the wall studs to support the unit.

Again get the mod and SN and either try to find yourself on the net, or get back here with the numbers.
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

Feb 8, 2006, 06:51 PM
    Don't worry about the size - all over the range microwaves are a standard 30" in width. The only variables are depth and height. Those dimensions are not usually going to be deal breakers. There have been many different designs of GE microwaves, and there are a few different designs of Whirlpool microwaves currently on the market. Get me both model numbers and I can guide you. Thanks.
    Buford_Liberty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2010, 05:47 AM
    I am in the same situation. My problem is that my old GE is tapered and hangs lower in the rear than in the front. All the models I have found are now straight from back to front therefore they hang too low in front and tend to block the view of the back panel on the cooking range. One installer told me that they are all made this way nowadays. I don't know. If anyone knows differently I'd like to hear about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Microwave oven [ 11 Answers ]

Can you tell me approximately how many amps a small microwave oven uses. I rent and my house has 15 amp circuits and my microwave keep tripping the circuit. My landlady told me my microwave uses too many amps. Can that be? Thanks so much for your help

Kids recipes for the microwave [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find recipes for kids to use in the microwave. Maybe for the ages around ten. I would love it if anyone could tell me a recipe or tell me a site where i can find some. Thanks for the help. :D

Microwave odour from spill [ 2 Answers ]

We had an unfortunate incident were someone set the microwave cook temp too high and the dish of food exploded inside making one awful mess. I cleaned everything out (I didn't make the mess) with TSP and it looked great, but now it smells from the original mess. I am trying some baking soda in...

3A Toe Heater on Microwave Circuit? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Group! Does anyone know if it is permissible to put a toe heater in the kitchen on the same 20A circuit as the microwave? The circuit only has the microwave on it. Any help greatly appreciated!:confused:

Microwave Problem [ 4 Answers ]

The problem with my overhead microwave is that the vent fan doesn't turned off. I could switch back between low and high flow but I could not turn it off. Any help... >

View more questions Search