Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mary Mack Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 11:27 AM
    Shower stall pools water in one corner
    My house is 15 years old and built on a slab. The shower stall is an enclosed corner unit made of fiberglass (I think all one unit) enclosed with glass. The slope of the floor of the stall has always allowed water to pool in the corner instead of flowing easily down the drain located in the center of the shower floor. I assume the former owners who built the house did not make sure that it was installed level because this problem has been with me since I purchased the house. With the red clay soil in this part of the South, the shifting of the house could be causing the problem to worsen. What is the best and most cost efficient way to fix this problem so that I don't have pooling water. Should I install a new shower stall or try build up the floor to make it slope toward the drain. What kind of cost is involved in a new stall installation. Thanks so much for your advice.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 14, 2006, 04:51 PM
    Hi Mary,

"What is the best and most cost efficient way to fix this problem so that I don't have pooling water. Should I install a new shower stall or try build up the floor to make it slope?"

Your best and cheapest way would be to block the shower floor up level and then build a mound of mortor or cement or wood blocking under the floor to bed it and keep it level. I wouldn't have the foggiest on the cost of replacing it. Good luck Tom
    freebie314 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 07:35 PM
    I can only imagine how much work would be involved in taking the doors off, then the base up and trying to re-lvl the thing... (can of worms) I'd say get some estimates to have it replaced, Then go with the plumber you felt the most comfortable with and make sure he is licensed, That's the BEST way to solve the problem.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 14, 2006, 08:44 PM
    Does the water pool at the door or along the walls? If it pools along the doors it could be possible to shim under the fiberglass unit edge depending what type of bathroom floor you have and if where the pan sits on the floor is visible. (tile floor or vinyl floor or other type?) Is there gaps in the shower door, does it close well? Is there gaps in the seams of the walls themselves? If so, it may be better tearing out and re-doing it properly.
    Mary Mack Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2006, 05:42 PM
    Shower problem
    Thanks for the good suggestions.I appreciate your taking the time to answer.

Mary

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water entering basement from one corner [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 80 year old house, and have lived here 28 years. We have never had water in the basement (other than when the sewer cleanout needed cabling). Suddenly we have water (flowing the last 3 days!). No leaky pipes, no backed up drains. Before we knew the water was still coming in we had the...

Question Regarding Corner Shower Leak [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, This is our first house and plumbing is not my specialty. Please be kind... :) We have a corner/stall shower. Fiberglass with glass door. The bathroom was newly remodeled and the shower is about 2-3 years old. Ever since we moved in we have had a problem with the shower floor...

Turning walking shower stall into bathtub/shower combo. [ 4 Answers ]

Question: Current shower drain (2" pipe) runs 5 feet, under slab, to vent stack (5" cast iron vent pipe) of toilet. Will need to move the drain 3ft to wall for new tub. After moving the drain, the complete length of the pipe will still be around 5 feet. We will have to reduce the drain line...

Water pools around furnace when a/c runs [ 1 Answers ]

A couple of times this summer I have noticed a pool of water around my furnace while my air conditioner is on. I have a central air conditioner and the air is distributed through my house via the furnace blower and conduits. Today, I had some time to poke around a bit and it seems that the pool is...

Corner shower leak [ 1 Answers ]

We have a corner shower that is leaking but not from the drain or the pipes. Blocked the shower head and nothing leaked the drain appeared OK as the leak found it's way to a hole were a wire was ran. This is a 3 sides and a bottom base. Any ideas on what or were the leak could be coming from.

View more questions Search