Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdwyer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 08:49 PM
    Shower drain oder
    I have had a sewer oder from the shower drain. The S trap has water in it to prevent this, yet the oder is still coming through. The shower drains and is useful, however, the oder is there every morning.
    RD
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 13, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Most bad oders in bathroom drains come from rotting hair mixed with grease from the soap. Try this. Tonight before you go to bed pour 1/2 gallon of bleach down the shower drain and let it set overnight. Next morning flush it down with a few large pans of boiling water. The bleach will start to dissolve and soften the hair and make it slippery and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the mess out into the main. Now see if that smelly drain doesn't smell sweeter? Hope this helps . Tom
    rdwyer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 10:13 PM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    He solved my year old problem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My shower drain is raised above the shower pan by 3/16" causing standing water [ 2 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass shower stall where the bottom has either slumped or the stall was installed wrong to begin with (it has no support beneath the surface that I stand on). The drain sticks above the level line so I have about 3/16" of standing water. I cannot easily access the bottom from the...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Shower weep hole drain turned into tub drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling my shower to a roman tub. The existing drain is a weep hole drain. Is there a plug for these type of drains? The idea is to use the same drain system and hot mop, tile, etc. around it.

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search