To buy or not to buy

Asked Apr 26, 2018, 12:52 PM 6 Answers
    OK so I have some serious problem with my washer. I had this one for years and as it usually goes, I had to do some smaller and some bigger repairs. And now I have a water pump - belts - motor situation and I'm just wondering is it worth fixing. I got a recommendation from my repairman for this one (link removed) and it's a really good deal.

So my question for you guys is... How do you know when it's time to say goodbuy and get a new "family member"?

Last edited by Fr_Chuck; Apr 26, 2018 at 07:18 PM.
    Search this Question
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 53,763, Reputation: 10849

#2

Apr 26, 2018, 04:29 PM
    When you're sick and tired of paying to have the old family member fixed. Peace of mind ain't free, nor is it forever. The new friend will get old someday too. Likely the old friend will get rehabbed and sold at used prices and be new to someone.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,221, Reputation: 7689

#3

Apr 26, 2018, 07:19 PM

If the cost to repair is large and it is old, yes a new one would be advised.
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,616, Reputation: 1010

#4

Apr 26, 2018, 07:34 PM
    Price repairs, price new. Considering age, I wouldn't pay more than 25% of new for repairs. Next week may be something new. A repairperson will be charging at least $75 just to show up.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,241, Reputation: 5641

#5

Apr 26, 2018, 08:11 PM

I will never again have a front loader.
    jackbauer009's Avatar
    jackbauer009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#6

Apr 27, 2018, 12:47 AM
    If you are tired of your old friend. Get rid of it. Of course, compare the price. If it's worthy to repair then surely no need to bring new friend. As you know, new friend will become old one day!
    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 28,318, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

#7

Apr 27, 2018, 03:47 PM
    I never buy new unless there's a really good sale going on. Check your local buy and sell group on Facebook, you may find something that still works well, but isn't needed anymore. Sometimes you can even get them for free. My latest fridge looks like new, double door freezer on bottom fridge, black, in prestine shape. I got it for free because the owner couldn't fit it in her kitchen and instead of selling it, she just got a new one and gave this one away. Happens all the time.