Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anono Posts: 12, Reputation: 0

Aug 20, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Mac email
    My problem is that every time I open my email from the dock it automatically closes after a few seconds . Can anybody help fix this?
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Aug 20, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Some additional information will help:

What version of OS X are you running?
    How many emails are stored in your mail accounts?
    Are you using IMAP or POP accounts, or both?
    You are using the Mail app that comes with OS X, right? If not, what app are you using for mail?
    How much RAM do you have?

Aug 23, 2008, 04:19 PM
    vingogly, I am not sure about some of your questions but I know that I am using the mail application that is saved in my dock. I know there is a lot of unread mail. It says an unexpected error closed it. I'm not sure what version it is but I have the newest mac computer out. I hope this may have helped

Aug 23, 2008, 04:39 PM
    It's important to know whether you're using the Mail app that came with your Mac. If you're using something else like Entourage or Eudora or Thunderbird, the answers may be different so advise if you're using something other than the app called Mail. So please verify the mail program you're using (i.e. read its name from the dock & post).

Are you using MobileMe for email, or are you using an email connection that came with another provider (like AT&T, Comcast, etc)?

To find out the version of OS X, click the apple in the upper left corner of the screen and select About This Mac. You'll see a window pop up that tells you the version (I'm betting 10.5.4 since it's a new Mac).

The exact wording of the error message is important. Can you remember what else it said beside unexpected error?

Aug 24, 2008, 06:33 AM
    vingogly I have some more info. The mail app is the one which comes on the mac. The version is 10.5.4 as you said.and the error message reads " the app mail quit unexpectedly. Mac os x and other apps are not affected. Enough info?

Aug 24, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Here's something you can try (from Apple support):

1. Open iCal and delete your ToDo items, save and quit iCal.
    2. Start Mail to see if it crashes; if not, quit Mail and open iCal and add back your ToDo items, save and quit. Then restart Mail again to see if it crashes; if not, then your problem is resolved, unless it happens again later.

If this doesn't work, I suggest this next:

1. Disconnect from the internet
    2. If Mail will now start up, try resetting your Junk mail preferences (you'll have to start retraining Mail)
    3. Quit Mail, reconnect to the internet, and see if the problem's fixed.

If it's still not fixed, try removing your Mail preferences file:

1. Go to users>yourlogin>Library>preferences on your hard drive (where yourlogin is the login you've set up for your Mac)
    2. Search for and remove the file com.apple.mail.plist (be sure you have the right file before you delete it!)
    3. Start up Mail and see if it works (all your preferences will need to be reset - be sure you have all your account etc. information written down before doing this! )

Aug 24, 2008, 01:22 PM
    I have tried your mentioned solutions but still seem to be having the same problem. I successfully removed the file you told me to and re done the mail setup. It looked like it was working but it then closed and showed the same error message . What now ?

Aug 25, 2008, 05:48 AM
    When you get the "application quit" message, there should be buttons on the window and one of them should be labeled "Report". If you click on that button, you'll get a bunch of technical info about the crash. It will probably contain a clue as to what's going wrong. If you can't get a log this way, go to Applications>Utilities and run Console. Under LOG FILES | ~/Library/Logs | Crash Reporter you should see a file named Mail.crash.log. Send either the log generated when you click the Report button or the log file Mail.crash.log to me in a PM to keep from cluttering up this thread, and I'll take a look at it.

There's probably something corrupted somewhere. Download and run Preferential Treatment (freeware) and remove any corrupted preference files (there are other preference files associated with Mail). Also download and run Onyx (also free), repair permissions, and run the other maintenance tasks in Onyx.

Just a hunch... do you know if Growl is installed (it's a helper app, and I've had bizarre things happen in the past due to out-of-date copies of Growl)? Go to System Preferences, then Accounts, and click on the Login Items tab for your account. See if there's an app named GrowlHelperApp listed. If so, you have Growl installed; you can download and install the latest version here but DON'T DO THIS unless you're sure Growl is already installed.

Finally, are you within reasonable driving distance of an Apple Store? If so, I'd make an appointment at the Genius Bar to take your Mac in and have them look at it. There may also be an authorized Apple dealer in your area that can help you with your problem. See your warranty/Apple Care packet for information on finding an authorized dealer in your area if you're not near an Apple Store.

Aug 25, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Thank you very much your help is appreciated and I have fixed the problem. Thanks again.

Aug 25, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by anono
    thank you very much your help is appreciated and i have fixed the problem. thanks again.
    That's awesome... for the sake of closure, could you post what you did to solve it? It might help future readers of this thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Email Our troops and be email pen pals [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know how we can email our women and men serving our country. I think it would be great to have overseas pen pals. To be able to talk to them, and let them know we support them . And give the other people to talk to state side.

Comcast email server losing email [ 2 Answers ]

My comcast account won't let any email through to me except those I send to myself and those comcast sends to me to test the address. I use their website to retrieve email and do not use outlook. They have not been helpful in solving the problem. Any ideas would be appreciated. I can...

View more questions Search