Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PrincessOfAThousandDays Posts: 52, Reputation: 2

Aug 24, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Cervical cancer
    I am so confused about cervical cancer.

Firstly how do men get the virus to pass it on? Is it through sex?

Because, I am planning to have sex with someone, we are both virgins. He has never had or given oral to anyone which I am sure can spread something. Obviously has kissed other people ( could you catch the virus that way? )

How likely is it if I had unprotected sex with him of me getting the virus which causes the cancer?

I am just worried because it's a virus and I would think that can be caught quite easily with out symptoms on his part? ( I am on the pill, just with out a condom )
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Cancer is not a virus, but the hpv virus can increase the risk. Do you understand the difference?

For ex a person who is obese has a greater tendency for diabetes, though people of normal weight can still get diabetes. You can get ovarian cancer and not have the hpv virus. It just increases the risk... just like smoking, a family history of cerv cancer, etc

So hpv can increase the chances of getting it. Do a search for "cervical cancer and hpv" there are a lot of sites out there... such as...

Cervical Cancer

Aug 24, 2007, 12:12 PM
    I know, the virus that causes the cancer. Sorry if it blurred into one thing in my post above.

I am talking about the virus at the moment.

How likely is is for me to catch it considering the circumstance?
    How does one catch the virus? Is it just sex?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Princess,

You are only 15 years old. Are you ready for all of the consequences sex brings? Do you fully understand the consequences of sex?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Also depending on your age (under 24) you can get inoculated for the HPV virus. My 17 year old cousin just did it. Talk to your doctor about it. It's a round of injections and it will protect you from contracting the virus.

In regards to the virus someone can have and not know. My best friend has HPV and she got it from her husband he had no idea he had it. (we are too old for the inoculation by the way but if I wasn't I would get it)

Aug 24, 2007, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Princess,

You are only 15 years old. Are you ready for all of the consequences sex brings? Do you fully understand the consequences of sex?

Yes, very much so. Not only that but I am still keeping all my standards, I am waiting until after I turn 16 in October so it is legal and I have been in this relationship for a long time. Ive not been presured and as you can tell I am taking appropriate measures.

I just think its me being sensible finding out about STIs before hand and finding out as much as I can about protection.

Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    Also depending on your age (under 24) you can get inoculated for the HPV virus. My 17 year old cousin just did it. Talk to your doctor about it. Its a round of injections and it will protect you from contracting the virus.

In regards to the virus someone can have and not know. My best friend has HPV and she got it from her husband he had no idea he had it. (we are too old for the inoculation btw but if I wasn't I would get it)
    Can you just go to a local nurse/ sex clinic to get inoculated? How much does it cost?

My main question has not really been answered so I will post it again, what is the likely hood of him having the virus if he has never had sex before? I would assume it slim to none?
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Princess I don't know about going to a clinic for it. You need the permission of a parent in order to be inoculated for the virus. My cousins doctor said that she has been recommending that everyone who is of the age to get it done get it done. So you would need to see your family doctor and have a parent or guardian present to consent to the shot.
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Good for you girl!! It is always best to be educated FIRST!!

Okay, now you cannot get the shot at a clinic, only through a doctor's office, depending on where you live. They are presently giving the shot to young girls as young as 12.

You must remember that genetics plays a role in this also. It is not only through sexual contact that you can get this.
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Yes, if he has not had sex, the likelihood is slim to none, you are correct.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 12:34 PM
    BTW The chances of your boyfriend having HPV is probably zero. You have to have had sex and unprotected sex at that in order to contract the virus.
    SAB123 Posts: 685, Reputation: 94

Aug 24, 2007, 12:36 PM
    My ex fiancé had cervical cancer when we were together. We had unprotective sex. Now can this hpv virus be spread from her to me. Is hpv a std.
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 12:37 PM
    HPV is a sexually transmitted disease for the most part. It is a form of the Herpes Virus. HPV meaning Herpes Papilloma Virus.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Also keep in mind that the vaccine only protects against two strains of the virus, so there is still a small chance, but Id rather be protected against 2 than 0. Also the more partners you have in your life the higher your chances of contracting the virus.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

I work in a cancer clinic and one of our physician's sent his daughters here to get the shot. He really only had them do it for his own piece of mind.

As for the cost, etc. You'll have to call and ask your doctor :
    1. if they offer it
    2. how much it would cost with your insurance coverage.

I'm glad you're educating yourself... though the irony is that educating yourself will probably inspire you to wait until you're even older than 16. (Your choice though, of course) HPV actually turning into cancer is somewhat rare, but of course possible. Other STD's are spread the same way, so make sure you look into those as well. While technically anything is possible, if both of you remain virgins until then (and no needle use- duh) you'll have much smaller odds.

(P.S. Congrats on being smart about this ;) )
    SAB123 Posts: 685, Reputation: 94

Aug 24, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    HPV is a sexually transmitted disease for the most part. It is a form of the Herpes Virus. HPV meaning Herpes Papilloma Virus.
    What are symptoms of hpv or are their any.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SAB123
    What are symptoms of hpv or are their any.

Here is the info from WebMd

HPV Virus in Men

Aug 24, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Good to know,

This is the last thing to tick off my std list.
    I have been learning about every std under the sun ( or what seems like it ), its funny to think I thought I knew a lot but I realize I knew next to nothing - apart from not to get any!
    Thanks, you have really given me piece of mind.

Every time I research them the keep saying how easy they are to get and sometimes there are no symptoms which made me paranoid I might have an std though I have never done anything to catch one. :/
    Very scary stuff.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 01:37 PM
    You are being very responsible and smart about this whole thing. I only wish more young people were as responsible as you are.

Reading too much about that stuff can make you pretty paranoid. Just remember to always be safe and smart about what you do. While the only thing that can protect you 100% is abstinence if and when you decide to have sex remember you will need a back up method (ie, condom) to go with birth control pills. You can still pregnant and contract STD's while on the pill. My friend in fact got pregnant on the pill and I believe several of the ladies on this site have as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Could I have cervical cancer at 16? [ 4 Answers ]

I have not had a period in 3 almost 4 months, I am sexually active but I have no symptoms and I took 3 pee tests at my doctors and they all come back negative. I get this yellow discharge and my skin is very soft and I feel like I'm going to pass out any minute but I can't sleep. I have no idea...

Pregnancy and cervical cancer [ 1 Answers ]

I had an abnormal pap in my current pregnancy.I am now almost 24 weeks, and I'm scheduled to go and get a colposcopy, and maybe a biopsy also. I am very worried about how this will affect my pregnancy. I have had 2 premature deliveries, and am now pregnant with twins! Will having these things done...

Cervical cancer [ 3 Answers ]

I am 20 weeks pregnant and was told by my doctor that I may have cervical cancer. They are going to check me with a scope next week and then do a biopsy after I have the baby. Will the baby be okay? Has anyone else had this problem. Oh, and I am 22 if that matters.

Cervical cancer [ 2 Answers ]

Can you get cervical cancer post partial hysterectomy? I still have my cervix

Cervical fluid [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble distinguishing wet/sticky creamy, etc... I have an estimated fertile time of thurs June 9, 10, 11, with possible o on 12th. I am seeing signs of approaching o in my cervical fluid. I have been dry as the desert until today. They say you start sticky, then creamy, then wet...

View more questions Search