Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edwardgrl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 09:42 AM
    My puppy is peeing in her crate
    I have some problems with my 4 month old boston terrier and I need some advise. Her crate is not big at all but every moring her bed or blanket is full of pee. We tried taking out her bed or blanket but she still peed. I've read a lot of dog books and they all say that puppys don't pee in their crates cause they don't like being dirty so I don't know what's wrong.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2008, 09:50 AM

Since she's a puppy, it happens. Have you tried taking her out for a long walk before bed, and perhaps taking away her water bowl about 2 - 3 hours before bed? Try to not let her drink before bed, and make sure she goes to the bathroom before she goes to sleep. If possible, you may have to take her out again in the middle of the night.

When I first got my puppy, she refused to pee anywhere BUT her crate. Keep at it, good luck.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 9, 2008, 01:49 PM

Also remember, as she is still a puppy she cannot hold her bladder all night. It is best at this age to take her out at least once during the night to let her relieve herself. If not, yes, she will pee in her crate if not given any other option.

Good luck.
    white-rose Posts: 69, Reputation: 9

Nov 9, 2008, 02:37 PM

My puppy has done that sometimes too. But its because I didn't take her out to pee before I put her in. Any other time she is fine. Your puppy will need to pee A lot because they can not hold their bladders for very long. Imagine every time you drank something and having the urgue to pee immediately afterwards, that's how your puppy feels when in the crate.

I would suggest taking her out to pee RIGHT before bed, and wake up bright in the morning and take her out again. If you stay consistent, she will understand that she always has to pee before bed, and when she wakes up in the middle of the night she will have to hold it in until morning.

Also praise your puppy when she pees or poops outside so she knows it's a good thing. It will help with the process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog peeing in crate [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 14 month old boxer. He's house broken, but sleeps in a crate at night where he pees almost every night. We know that he can hold it all night because sometimes he'll sleep on a blanket in our bedroom and have no accidents. But if we put him in the crate its almost guaranteed he'll pee...

Peeing in crate [ 1 Answers ]

I think my 7 month old boxer has an separation anxiety problem. He continuously pees in his crate during the day or any time we leave him in there. He usually has no problems when we are home and going in the house, but every day even if he is in there for an hour, he will pee in his crate. Any...

Maltese peeing in crate [ 2 Answers ]

I just acquired a 6 year old male Maltese from a family who could not care for him any longer. He had not been properly taken care of from the looks of him. My problem is this. When I put him in his crate he urinates. I think it is out of spite. I sometimes only leave him for 20 minutes and...

Puppy peeing in crate [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Guys! Looking for sugestions. I have a 10 week old Weim who is normally a gem but crys constantly at night. He crys to get out if his crate in the middle of the night every hour and I'm having a hard time telling if it is protest or having to use the potty. We have our crate in the living room...

Peeing in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I need help and I am literally pulling my hair out in tears everyday because of it. I have a 6 month old border collie mix who refuses to stop peeing in his crate. I have a feeling it is a behavioral problem. He has been to the vet and his bladder is fine. Whenever we leave we put him in his crate...

View more questions Search