Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nina87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2008, 01:06 AM
    What happen if I give my rommate 30 days notice and she doesn't sign it?
    :confused: Hello there
    I rent a place and my landlord said if you want to get a roommate it 's your choice and you have to deal with it. So I found a roommate and I had month to month lease with her. And now after one year we don't get a long ( long story) I asked her to find another place so I wrote a 30 days notice and I gave it to her plus I made a copy and I wrote that she has to pay her half before she move out ( I mean PG&E, Internet and others) she doesn't accept it and also she doesn't want to sign the paper so I just told her that she can write a paper with what ever she agrees with and sign it because I don't want to fight and I want that she moves out but she keep delaying it . So I don't know what do I have to do? And what's the California Law?:( :confused:
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 8, 2008, 06:03 AM
    A tenant doesn't have to sign the 30 day notice to make it effective. If you give her a 30 day notice in writing and she doesn't move out by the end of the 30 days then you can file a lawsuit for eviction. If she doesn't pay her share of the rent and utilities then you can file a separate lawsuit in small claims court.

You can read about California law at Landlord/Tenant Book Index - California Department of Consumer Affairs
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2008, 07:12 AM
    When did you give her the notice? Tell her that she's been served with a vacate notice and if she does not vacate, then you will be forced to evict her. Read the Link Lisa gave you on the eviction process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received a 60 day notice to vacate - do I need to give a 30 day notice? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! The rental property is in cupertino, California. I received a 60 day notice to vacate as the new owner wants to remodel the property. As I have a house that I had bought and was also renting this unit I would like to vacate within 15 days and move all my stuff? Question - Am I...

He doesn't notice me! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Right, so I have a boyfriend but he flirts with everyone else, he doesn't even talk to me or look at me sometimes. I have to be the one to say hi to him on msn he never says it to me. He was the one who asked ME out! Lots of other girls fancy him and really I just wish he didn't ask me out! He...

How can I ask my roommate to give 30 days notice on a month to month lease ? [ 1 Answers ]

I am3 months into a month to month agreement with my current roommate. We were in a 6 month lease together that has expired over 3 months ago. I am currently wanting to dissolve the relationship and go into a 12 month lease with our landlord on my own. I know she is not ready to vacate, but can I...

Do I need to give 60 days notice when on month-to-month lease? [ 1 Answers ]

My one-year lease will end on February 29, 2008. In December landlord send me a renewal notice. I will choose the option of month-to-month, with an 8 percent rent increase. But do I still need to give 60 notice? My one-year lease requires 60 notice. I live in Yardley, PA.

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

View more questions Search