Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    silverstar Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Mortgage interest deduction for dual-status
    OPT 1/05-8/05, H-1, 8/05-12/05,

I know that I need to file a non-resident form (1040NR). 1 question:

Do I get the whole year's mortgage interest deduction $ 8800 on 1040NR? Where do I put it?
    Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2006, 08:05 PM
    As answered on the other post, you cannot claim the mortgage interest deduction as a non-resident alien.

You must file as a resident alien under the First Year Choice to claim the mortgage interest deduction.
    silverstar Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 11:31 AM
    Dear Atlanta Tax Expert,
    If I choose the First Year Choice, can I claim the $5000 US-China treaty deduction, too?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 12, 2006, 10:04 PM
    No, but you will be able to claim the $5,000 standard deductions, so it's a wash!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loan Interest Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 student loans, but interest paid on both are under $600 for the year 2005, so I didn't get any 1098E forms. Do I need any evidence to show the interest I'm claiming for adjustment? Such as pay slips which shows the amount of interest paid? Thanks

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

Home interest deduction in OPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about the home loan deduction. I was in F-1 and OPT in 2005 the entire year. And I am supposed to file 1040NR. I bought a house in Oct. 2005, and received form 1098 for loan interest and points paid. Are they tax deductable? In the schedule A of 1040NR where I do my itemized...

Splitting deduction interest & prop tax [ 3 Answers ]

My ex & I sold our home during our divorce in 2005. On my Schedule A, do I have a right to claim one half of the mortgage interest and property taxes paid during the time we owned it? What if I claim half and he claims the entire amount? We lost money on the sale. Is there a deduction for that?

Mortgage interest and real estate tax deduction for J-1 visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the US for 18 months, as an exchange professional. I plan to buy a condo or co-op in NYC and would like to know if I can deduct the interest on mortgage loan and the tax included in the monthly maintenance, from my taxed revenue? Thanks

View more questions Search