Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ky37m Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Aug 27, 2007, 12:02 AM
    How do I know gay from straight?
    Need some advice from the gay dudes;
    How do you let someone know that your interested in them?
    Here's a little back ground; I'm from Kentucky, not many gay scenes in the area I live in.
    Probably wouldn't go even if there was, just not my thing. But I would love to meet someone. Everywhere I go, I'm looking at guys, wondering "is he straight or gay". Its crazy!! Unless there "flaming", I would never know, (and wouldn't be into that anyway) . I'm talking in circles. Basically, I'm straight acting looking for same, but how do I find that. As I said, this is Kentucky, you do not want to flirt with the wrong person here, that could be very dangerous!!
    So what are some signs, and once I spot someone, how should I make a move?
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2007, 07:55 PM
    You need to go to a persoanals site on the internet or in the newspaper. This would cut out a lot of problems for you. At least you will know what they are looking for straight away.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 27, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Xrayman
    You need to go to a persoanals site on the internet or in the newspaper. This would cut out a lot of problems for you. at least you will know what they are looking for straight away.

No pun intended here, I hope.

Aug 27, 2007, 10:38 PM
    You need to go to a persoanals site on the internet or in the newspaper. This would cut out a lot of problems for you. at least you will know what they are looking for straight away.
    Your answer seems simple enough, but you never know who your meeting there. Most people are dishonest about there age, looks, etc... and then you have to wonder if that person is a homophobe psycho!! Or at least I do.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 04:05 PM
    I would think that it would be EXTREMELY elaborate for a straight person to place a gay ad in the paper just to abuse or beat you.

I would spend a great deal of time on gay chat sites etc where you can send video to see the person online.

Cheers
    americangayboy Posts: 220, Reputation: 38

Sep 1, 2007, 02:30 AM
    Internet dating isn't sketchy like it was a few years ago. Although there is quite a bit of dishonesty, it is usually someone saying they weigh 170 instead of 185 (or equivalent in kilos). Go for the chat sites. Gay.com has a good personals search engine and elaborate profiles (and it's free!) There's also manhunt.net, craigslist.com, Yahoo personals, hotornot.com, myspace.com etc. We gays have turned almost any site where you communicate with others into a personals site!
    boop21197 Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Sep 1, 2007, 04:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ky37m
    need some advice from the gay dudes;
    how do you let someone know that your interested in them?
    heres a little back ground; i'm from kentucky, not many gay scenes in the area i live in.
    probably wouldnt go even if there was, just not my thing. but i would love to meet someone. everywhere i go, im looking at guys, wondering "is he straight or gay". its crazy!!! unless there "flaming", i would never know, (and wouldnt be into that anyway) . im talking in circles. basically, im straight acting looking for same, but how do i find that. as i said, this is kentucky, you do not want to flirt with the wrong person here, that could be very dangerous!!!
    so what are some signs, and once i spot someone, how should i make a move?
    Just ask them are you gay or do you like the same sex, I'm from fla. And now I live in va.
    I have a lot of gay friends, I just let them know up front that I'm not that way, but I will be your friend, just don't make a move on me. Cause I will knock the S@#$ out of you.

Sep 1, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by boop21197
    just ask them are you gay or do you like the same sex, I'm from fla. and now I live in va.
    I have alot of gay friends, I just let them know up front that I'm not that way, but I will be your friend, just don't make a move on me. cause I will knock the S@#$ out of you.
    This is exactly why he wouldn't just ask someone if they were gay. Many straight people don't understand that violence is a possible consequence of even asking someone's sexuality. Even in big cities, where queer communities flourish and are more accepted, you run the risk of being harassed/assaulted if you hit on a straight. I'd give you more negative feedback if I could!

Sep 1, 2007, 04:17 PM
    I would think that it would be EXTREMELY elaborate for a straight person to place a gay ad in the paper just to abuse or beat you.

I would spend a great deal of time on gay chat sites etc where you can send video to see the person online.

cheers
    I wasn't suggesting that a straight would go to that much trouble to jack up a fag. Let me give an example.
    Your in a department store and someone brushes by, he smiles and maybe looks at you for a few seconds. What should the next step (if any) be. Should I forget it ever happened, I mean after all, I could be reading way too much into it. Or should I try and start a conversation to learn more about him or maybe just smile back. Sorry, I'm terrible with this. Probably why I'm alone.
    johnfrost Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2007, 08:04 PM
    heres a little back ground; i'm from kentucky, not many gay scenes in the area i live in.
    probably wouldnt go even if there was, just not my thing. but i would love to meet someone. everywhere i go, im looking at guys, wondering "is he straight or gay". its crazy!!! unless there "flaming", i would never know, (and wouldnt be into that anyway) . im talking in circles. basically, im straight acting looking for same, but how do i find that. as i said, this is kentucky, you do not want to flirt with the wrong person here, that could be very dangerous!!!
    Go to Nashville to clubs and met new people. You may not be giving vibes out enough for gay men to notice you. Or you can find me and if your lucky get a date with me.

Sep 1, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnfrost
    Go to Nashville to clubs and met new people. you may not be giving vibes out enough for gay men to notice you. or you can find me and if your lucky get a date with me.
    So tell me john frost, your in the frozen food section of your grocery store, a guy walks by, smiles, kind of checks you out, maybe even does a double take as he walks past you.
    If you thought he was cute and wanted to pursue it, how or what would you do?
    There are no "gay scenes" within 50 miles of were I live, and to make things worse, I work a lot of hours, so sadly, I have to look for romance in ordinary places when I have the chance, and try to rely on my instincts... which are getting me no where:(

Sep 2, 2007, 12:39 AM
    i wasnt suggesting that a straight would go to that much trouble to jack up a fag. let me give an example.
    your in a department store and someone brushes by, he smiles and maybe looks at you for a few seconds. what should the next step (if any) be. should i forget it ever happened, i mean afterall, i could be reading way to much into it. or should i try and start a conversation to learn more about him or maybe just smile back. sorry, im terrible with this. probably why im alone.
    You could look at him and raise your eyebrows or something similar to that. A simple smile wouldn't convey any romantic feelings because it could be taken as you just being polite.
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Sep 2, 2007, 05:32 AM
    Though I'm not a gay male... I am a bi female... I did live in Louisville for about 8 yr. I think once you try the internet chat sites/personals... meet a few people (in public places)... you will be surprised how quickly you will find yourself in a gay circle. Sounds like you just need to get your foot in the door. I agree that there are times when you meet in public and are unsure... you may ask one of many questions... "are you a friend of Dorothy?"... "are you family"... try winking... begin to chat to get a feel for them... there are many ways. Once you get started I believe you will find yourself surprised at how quickly you move forward. Good luck. Cathy
    ajoanne3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 03:18 PM
    As a gay woman myself I would just go drinking ina lesbian friendly pub or gay bar. Just because your gay don't mean you have to date differently date the straight way just date the same sex. No difference really. I mean how would you let a bloke know if you were straight smile, say hi, offer a drink? Do the same with a woman!!

Sep 4, 2007, 11:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by americangayboy
    You could look at him and raise your eyebrows or something similar to that. A simple smile wouldn't convey any romantic feelings because it could be taken as you just being polite.
    Thanks, ill give it a try...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gay/straight relationship doomed? [ 7 Answers ]

I am a bisexual white 30yr old man. I fell for a 28yr old black straight man. I approached him and made my feelings known to him. To my surprise he said that he has feelings for me. Due to my insecurities we are having major problems now after six months. He still likes to go out a be with...

Gay guy and Straight woman [ 9 Answers ]

Can anyone help me - how can a Gay guy have sex with a str8 woman when he can not get his penis hard?

I'm gay - he's straight, is a relationship possible? [ 13 Answers ]

I'm a straight acting, masculine gay man. I'm not in a relationship, and live a totally straight life. There is someone that I've known for more than 6 years at work. We've always been good friends, gotten along. In the past few months, the friendship has turn into what I'm positive is...

Gay Falls for Straight Man! What to do? [ 19 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm a 28 year old gay man and not out yet. I met a guy 4 years ago who I trained at the workplace. He seemed interesting. He's 22. So the second day of just knowing him I invited him to my cousins house to watch a Sporting event. He didn't have a car so I drove him there. He had...

Straight or gay? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 14 years old and ia

View more questions Search