Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    breecb's Avatar
    breecb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 27, 2015, 07:04 AM
    Tennessee requirements for signing over parental rights
    I have two daughters they have always lived with me we live in Tennessee and there biological father lives in Oklahoma. My fance wants to adopt my girls. There biological father wants to voluntary sign over his rights because he wants what is best for them. He cant be a dad to them and he also wants my fiancÚ to adopt them. I know me and my fiancÚ need to be married before any of this can happen but other than that what do I need to do. Im clueless.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,299, Reputation: 5646

    Jan 27, 2015, 07:19 AM
    Their, not there.

    Here in Tennessee you must be married for a year. Once you reach that milestone your husband can petition the court for adoption.

    Until then their father cannot relinquish rights. You will need an attorney to guide through this process properly.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jan 27, 2015, 08:14 AM
    You can't put the cart before the horse. This is a package deal. The termination of rights will be allowed as part of the adoption, not separately. After you have been married for a year, your husband files for a step parent adoption. I would not suggest that you do this without an attorney. I would start shopping around for an attorney now. Find out what you need and costs so you can save up and prepare.

    Since the father is agreeable, this should be simple and straightforward.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Jan 27, 2015, 07:12 PM
    Agree, normally Tennessee is wanting a year of marriage but I have heard of cases where they have allowed less, if a long term relationship is proved.

    Adoption is a complex legal process and you really need an attorney. The attorney will do the paper work for the adotpion and the change of rights, it all happens together. So at the moment the adoption is approved, the rights are terminated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rescind parental rights Tennessee? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm sorry if I am not posting this in the correct place. I am new to all of this. I am a divorced Father of 2. Parenting plan is in affect, I pay child support, provide insurance, have visitation, etc. It has come to my attention in the last 2 weeks that the son I have raised for 17 years may not...

Laws in Tennessee - terminating parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

TN. How hard would it be for me to terminate the parents rights if I have had the children 12, 11,6,4 years. I have had no support from the parents. Also I just received Guardianship of a child that was very due to carelessness of the mother. The mother voluntarily sign the Guardianship papers, and...

Parental rights of the father after signing over rights in adoption [ 2 Answers ]

My son is nineteen he and his girlfriend hide her pregnancy for six months, during that time they met a couple and decided to put the baby up for adoption. After we found out about the baby they told us that they had started the process of adoption. My son said he had signed over his parental...

How do I file a motion to take away parental rights in Tennessee [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 4 1/2 and I took his father to court when he was a couple of months old to get support and visitation and he never did either. He has never seen him, and I am fine with nothing from him, but I want to move on with my life and move, how can I legally do this? Is there a way I can file to...

Giving up parental rights in Tennessee [ 14 Answers ]

My brother has a daughter that he only gets to see 4 hours a week and that is only if the mother lets him come over (when he was getting divorced he was unsure of how to answer to a petition for a divorce so he had a default judgment against him). He pays a great amount of child support and has...

View more questions Search