Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    t1nkabe11's Avatar
    t1nkabe11 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 9, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Step father rights to adopt?
    Me and my partner have been together over two years we have a baby together and I have a son from a previous relationship. My partner James has always looked upon my son as his own and has been there since he was 6 months old. My sons dad doesn't have contact with him as I got fed up of doing all the running around, he never made the effort to come and see him I always took him there. Now because I don't bother neither does he. What I want to know is do I still need the biological fathers consent for my partner to adopt my son?
    Jade x
    educatedhorse_2005's Avatar
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78
    Senior Member

    Jun 9, 2006, 10:40 AM
    Yes you would biological fathers consent
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Jun 9, 2006, 12:11 PM
    First you have not said what county you are from. This may make some issues. Also within the US, each state has its own rules somewhat.

    But basically you will have to petition the court where the child custody work has been done (normally since they were the original court of record on your custody agreement) If the biological father agrees ( will get him out of the child support) then your spouse can make petition to the court for adoption.
    ( it is all done at about the same time)

    But I did not hear the magic word spouse, I only heard the word partner, which in today's society can mean many things, so depending on the state if in the US a partner may or may not be allowed to adopt
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646

    Jun 9, 2006, 02:01 PM
    If you are in the states most states would require that the birth father sign over his paternal rights so that the child may be adopted.
    t1nkabe11's Avatar
    t1nkabe11 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 10, 2006, 01:33 AM
    I am in the U.K. My ex used to be violent to me and is a very strong drug and drink user.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646

    Jun 10, 2006, 09:10 AM
    You may be able to prove that he is unfit as a father so that your "partner" can gain adoption status. I am in the US, so do not know UK laws but this may help. However, I am not a professional in this area, but it may be necessary for you and your partner to be married.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Jun 10, 2006, 04:58 PM
    Unless the biological father is deceased or has unknown whereabouts, then yes, he must give his consent in orde for his son to be adopted by another man.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to adopt my wife's child no father on birthcertificate [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married since Sep 2000 and were living togeather in March of the same year. She has 2 children by two different fathers. The oldest one's father is in the picture and active in her life. The youngest 8 yrs old now, has never seen her birth father and has lived with me since...

No father listed on birth certificate how can husband adopt [ 15 Answers ]

I live in KS. I don't know who my baby's biological father is, how can my husband adopt? There is no fater listed on the birth certificate. And what if someone later in life were to question if they were the father what would happen then?

Can my husband adopt my daughter if her father is not around? [ 13 Answers ]

I live with my husband and I have my daughter,which is not his biologically,but I also have a son that is his,so I was wondering if it is that he could adopt her without the father's consent,keeping in mind that her father is nowhere to be found.

Step father's right to adopt [ 2 Answers ]

Can you please tell me how can I go about adopting my step son who is 8 years old? His biological father rights were taken and I would like to adopt my fiance's son. What do I need to do?

View more questions Search