Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Kaeleesha's Avatar
    Kaeleesha Posts: 9, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 22, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Step Father adoption without lawyer, and costs?
    My daughter is almost 6 years old and has had no contact with her bio father since she was 12 days old. I've been with my husband now since my daughter was 7 months old and he wants to adopt her. The bio father is willing to give up rights for my husband to adopt. So would it still be too complicated to file for this without a lawyer? I can't afford to pay for one and I don't know if it would be possible to get some kind of legal aid for this kind of situation (I know in my county legal aid doesn't handle custody issues so I'm not sure about adoption). My other question is does anyone know what if any are the other costs of step parent adoption (besides the lawyer fees)? I heard something about a home inspection that I would have to pay for. Any help at all would be welcome!!
    don8's Avatar
    don8 Posts: 75, Reputation: 16
    Junior Member

    Jan 22, 2007, 03:15 PM
    If you go to the department of human services and tell them your ex doesn't pay child support then they will sue him for child support when you go to court they will tell him how much he has to pay then if he will tell them he wants to give your husband his parental rights then if you agree they will excuse his child support and they will take care of the paper work at very little cost to you
    Kaeleesha's Avatar
    Kaeleesha Posts: 9, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 22, 2007, 03:40 PM
    He actually has been paying court ordered support on and off. Could I still go to the department of human resources for this? Would that be in the courthouse?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Jan 22, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Since the ex is no longer obligated to pay child support once the child is adopted it is possible the ex would help pay some of the legal expenses.

    This is something that will require an attorney, the forms to sign over rights and the proper motions for the adoption, have to be done exactly right.
    shygrneyzs's Avatar
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

    Jan 22, 2007, 08:18 PM
    You need legal representation; no way to get around that, past that, or through that.

    About the home inspection - since this is your husband wanting to adopt your daughter, I cannot see a home inspection. My ex and I went through one when we adopted - but the child was not the biological child of either of us - his parents had their rights terminated by the courts.

    Something of this grave consequence, the adoption of a child, do not skip any steps or try shortcuts. Best of luck to you.
    db923's Avatar
    db923 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 3, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Try your local family law facilitators office/ self help referral agency.. Here in our county they just began offering help with step parent adoptions.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Dec 4, 2007, 01:23 PM
    At least in the areas where I am at, there are some legal aid societies that can help. Also if the step father is willing to sign over the rights, you may get by with a good para legal that will just do the paper work and you file it with the courts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step parent adoption [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter got pregnant by someone she doesn't want to be with. During her pregnancy she married a man and he wants to be the father of the baby. The bio father has said to leave him alone. We were told that since she was married at the time of the birth that the babies last name will be the...

Step Parent Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I are looking for information on how I can adopt his son. Currently, my husband has joint legal custody, however this will hopefully change to sole custody after our court date at the end of the month. Does the biological mother have to sign off on it? Does she have to stop paying...

Step parent adoption [ 2 Answers ]

A person adopts there spouses child from a previous marriage. If they devorce does the adoptive parent owe child support of does the bio parent that gave up rights owe child support

Step Parent Adoption In Ca [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of California, how does my husband go about adopting my daughter from a previous relationship. My daughter's father would give his consent.

Step father rights to adopt? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my partner have been together over two years we have a baby together and I have a son from a previous relationship. My partner James has always looked upon my son as his own and has been there since he was 6 months old. My sons dad doesn't have contact with him as I got fed up of doing all...

View more questions Search