Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    da1nonlydestiny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2010, 12:07 PM
    In a NYS Open Adoption, Birth parents want the baby back.
    Quick facts, Birth Mother is 17, Birth Father is 18, the baby is now 5 months. There was an Open Adoption both birth parents gave up their paternal rights. What are their rights, or what can be done to get their baby back? Are the Birth Grandparents able to do anything?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 26, 2010, 12:52 PM

You need an attorney. The adoption papers should have stated the terms of the adoption. If a judge approved them the rights were terminated. Unless the birth parents can prove duress or a lack of understanding or something to overturn the adoption its not likely to be overturned. On the other hand, if the attorney who prepared the adoption didn't know what they were doing there could be loopholes.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 29, 2010, 06:33 AM

"Changing your mind" is not a valid reason in most states to get parental rights back.

Having been through it, I know perfectly well that they ask you, clarify, make sure, and pound into you that this is FOREVER, and they make SURE you understand that. Does that mean most birthparents really understand what they're giving up? Of course not--how could they? But you're talking about a major disruption to the child and to the adoptive family because they "changed their minds".

In most cases, a court isn't going to care--because the court made sure they knew what they were doing when they signed that paperwork.

PS--odds are that the only attorney, rather than Attorney Ad Litem, employed was by the adoptive parents. And they PAID to make sure there were no loopholes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find my birth parents names? (closed adoption) [ 28 Answers ]

I am adopted and I was just wondering if anyone new a faster and more discreet method of finding birth parents other than having to go to court and have the papers opened. I have tried going to various websites to try to find them but I have a huge problem. I don’t know my birth parents names and...

My sons girlfriends parents want her to give baby up for adoption [ 28 Answers ]

My son is 17 years old. His girlfriend is 15. Her parents want her to give the baby up for adoption when it is born. We want to raise the baby. Can anyone tell us what our his legal rights are? Her parents will not return our phone calls and she is 4 months pregnant and they haven't taken her to a...

Parents right to force minor to give baby for adoption [ 59 Answers ]

My 14 year old doughter is pregnant and wants to keep baby. Me and my wife are 110% against this, do we have the right to force her to give this baby up for adaoption or does she being a minor have the right to keep this baby.

View more questions Search