Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    denise4367 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Adding a birthfather's name on birth certificate of adopted daughter
    My brother and his present girlfriend have been reunited with there "birthdaughter" who is 23 yrs old now -she was given up for adoption in 1985. Due to personal issues the mother of the child did not include my brothers name on the birth certificate and told him about the baby "after" she was given up for adoption. Now that they have been reunited with there daughter -Both she and her "birth" Mother want to change the original birth certificate that says "father unknown" to include my brothers name.

I have 2 questions to anyone that would know - 1. The baby was born in the State of NY in 1985 and living in NJ - When they petition a court either in NY or NJ - Will my brother and his "daughter" be required by Law to have a DNA test in order to add his name on the birth certificate? and 2. Even though she was legally adopted Who is the one that has to petition the court to add his name on the original birth certificate and because she was born in the State of NY-does it have to be petitioned here?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2008, 07:49 AM

It has to be changed ( if he could be) in the original state.

The child was legally adopted, there is no birth certificate with the original mothers name that is a legal certificate. The adopted parents have the "real" birth certificate with their names on it.

So basically this is a mute issue, since the original birth certificate is void.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2008, 09:30 AM

The other thing about this that stuck me as odd is that if the birth mother knew who the birth father was and he wasn't involved in the adoption process, she could be in trouble because an adoption cannot proceed without both parent's consent. I've no idea what the SOL is on this, but it's a can of worms that I would avoid opening.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 29, 2008, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    The other thing about this that stuck me as odd is that if the birth mother knew who the birth father was and he wasn't involved in the adoption process, she could be in trouble because an adoption cannot proceed without both parent's consent. I've no idea what the SOL is on this, but it's a can of worms that I would avoid opening.
    Although this statement is true under normal conditions many states are involved in " drop off " laws where if a child is turned over to a hospital or firehouse or someplace safe they don't really have to answer questions they take the child and adopt them out. Most laws that involve that are newer laws on the books but there is a chance something simaler could have taken place here.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0724/p14s02-lifp.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding my last name to birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add my married name to my daughters birth certificates. I will not be changing their last name from the biological father, just adding my last name. How do I go about this and do I need permission from the biological father to do this? He has never seen his daughter and we don't know...

Adding Father to Birth Certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I need to add my son's father to his birth certificate. My son is 14 years old now and his dad pay's child support on him. We all acknowledge that this man is his biological father. There is no question about that. When I gave birth to him we weren't married and I was on Medicaid. The hospital told...

Adding name to birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

How do I have my name put on my daughter's birth certificate? Paternity was acknowledged at her time of birth, the mother and I were never legally married, my daughter does have my last name yet on birth certificate, yet it states 'Information not Entered'. I do not understand how it can state...

Adoption and adding adopted father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting married in a few weeks and my soon to be husband is wanting to adopt my son. My son's birth certificate doesn't have a father's name on there, just mine. I was wondering if my husband's name could be added on to my son's birth certificate. I appreciate anyone's help. Thanks!

Adding the father's name to a birth certificate. [ 1 Answers ]

I am Bahamian, my child was born in New York. I did not list the father's name on the child's birth certificate. He is not american. How can I list it now.

View more questions Search