Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rbp0308 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Can my husband adopt
    I have a 14 month old daughter who was born 6 weeks premature. I was married at the time she was conceived and born to my ex who I couldn't find to get a divorce.I finally found out where he was working and had papers served there. We got divorced in jan 08. I got marriednin march 08. He has not seen nor made any attempts to or even call. Also his name is not on the birth certificate. Does he have any rights to her and can my husband adopt her or put his name on her birth cert? He also told me he couldn't have kids and he had surgery done. He is remarried and has a 3 month old son and told her the same. Can't he get in trouble for telling people that
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rbp0308 View Post
    I have a 14 month old daughter who was born 6 weeks premature. i was married at the time she was conceived and born to my ex who i couldnt find to get a divorce.i finally found out where he was working and had papers served there. we got divorced in jan 08. i got marriednin march 08. he has not seen nor made any attempts to or even call. also his name is not on the birth certificate. does he have any rights to her and can my husband adopt her or put his name on her birth cert? he also told me he couldnt have kids and he had surgery done. he is remarried and has a 3 month old son and told her the same. can't he get in trouble for telling people that

If you go to the search feature next to the AMHD logo you will find hundreds of posts on this same subject.

In general, no, you cannot deprive a father of his rights. Is your ex-husband the father - I can't quite tell. In, I think, most States the husband is presumed to be the father and, therefore, must sign over his rights (basically) and allow the child to be adopted.

What State are you in? If you don't do this exactly according to Law you could have problems in the future.

No, he can't get "in trouble" with anyone for telling his second wife that he can't have children and then having a child. If she wants to divorce him on some sort of fraud theory, she can always try but I don't really see how that enters into your situation. As far as you and your child - lying (unfortunately) in this situation is not a criminal offense.

Have you filed against him for support? He may very well be happy to surrender his rights and allow the child to be adopted if he can get out from under child support payments.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex husband was new husband to adopt his children [ 12 Answers ]

I am currently married with a child. However I was married once before and have two children with that marriage. The marriage ended due to her extra martial affairs, the children were very young, four and five. They are now 11 and 12. I pay child support and provide insurance for the children....

My husband want to adopt my son [ 1 Answers ]

My husband want to adopt my son, but I don't know if he will sign his right over. My son bio father is way behind on child support, he hasn't paid in the past 6 month either and he hasn't seen my son in almost 3 years. I don't know where he is or how to get a hold of him, I heard he was in jail for...

My husband wants to adopt my 3 yr old [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my husband have been married for 1 yr and he wants to adopt my son. When I was 15 I got pregnant by a 24 yr old. He had previously got in trouble for having communication with a minor for immoral purposes. When he convinced me to run away and come live with him. When my parents found out...

My husband wants to adopt my son [ 9 Answers ]

So here is the story... My husband and I were married in February. At that time my ex and I were going through a nasty battle in court over whether he was the father of my son or not. Recently we found out that he isn't. So my question is this. I don't know who the father of my son is, but my...

View more questions Search