Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anjeal Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 11:37 PM
    Will my 16 year old niece and my sister ever get along again?
    My sister has 5 children. 4 girls and 1 boy. For the most part they all love each other. My sister is really crafty with money and making a dollar last. She struggles with things but is very strong minded and has the will to make anything happen. EXCEPT trust her oldest daughter. My niece started rebelling at age 14. Sneaking make up, shaving her legs, plucking eyebrows, etc... All done without consulting her mother. So, my sister thinks she did it sneakily. Well, since those early issues my niece has been caught lying, getting in trouble at school, ditching school and even had a secret romance once or twice. The nieces that are close to 16 years old are both quite the opposite. 1 is disabled and the other is a straight A+ student, would rather stay home and loves to cook. She does chores and is almost perfect. My sister embarrasses her 16 year old by telling people (mostly family) what terrible thing her daughter has done, now! I know neither of them is perfect, but geese I love them both and I dream of the two of them getting along again. I think my niece is so doomed to do everything wrong and my sister is not easy to talk to. What can I say or do to remind them of how they used to love each other so much. Is it possible for my sister to begin to trust her daughter again? Can my niece put her teenage life on hold long enough to earn my sister's trust again? Who gives first? My sister is starting to resent my for even sticking up for my niece. :confused:
    METERRE Posts: 206, Reputation: 22

Sep 5, 2007, 12:30 AM
    Apparently there never really was good communication between the two of them, or something broke it. The teenager has to be willing to cooperate so her mom can trust her and her mom needs to communicate more with her. If the mom is embarrassing her daughter in public, then that's not showing any support and therefore agravates the teen's need for outer attention. I think you're the link that they need in between, but you need to show support for what's right. Not only for one side or the other. Maybe you can help boost up the teens self-esteem if she needs it, by making her feel that her mom loves all her kids the same and that so do you. One thing that you must never do is to make any comparison between siblings, and to never crush their sense of self by doing those things like embarrassing them.
    You know perhaps it will pass by with time, but they both got to put their input into the situation to make it better. I hope this helps at least a little.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 5, 2007, 07:51 AM
    You might be able to mediate, but only if you approach it right.
    Try starting a conversation with your sister highlighting your niece's achievements. If she gets annoyed, just simply say. "Look, she's a good kid trying to make a good impression on you. Take a second to recognize the good she's done." And leave it at that.

Don't come between them, it'll will cause problems later on. Just be a friend to your niece and try to wait it out. They'll come together when they're ready.
    anjeal Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 11:07 PM
    Thank you for your advice. I will give it a ttry. I'm really tfrying not to pry but at the se time I am leaving them both with something to think about as I just be the good listener. If I think one of them is out of line I think I have th right to say something. But on a diffedrent note, I too have a pre teen and I am also learning as I go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting Custody of my live-in 16 year old Sister [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I am 24 years old, and I am the "de facto custodian" of my 15 (almost 16) year old sister. She has been living with me in my apartment since October 2006. I provide her shelter, transportation, food, clothing, everything. I receive $25/mo from our mother to go towards a gym...

Custody of my 11 year old sister [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. My name is Jennifer. I am 24 years old. I have been married for 5 years and have two sons. I am a full-time student majoring is Accounting and my husband and I own our own business. My mom passed away 6 years ago, when my little sister was 6 years old. Since my mom passed away, I have...

Why can't my 7 year old sister come to Canada ? [ 1 Answers ]

My sister was born in El Salvador in Central America . Now my mom & I came here to Canada in Summer 2003 . We've been applying for my sister to come ever since and can you believe that the Canadian immigration said no for my 3 and a half year old sister to be reunited with her mother back in 2003 ....

Niece is ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a relationship with my niece we have been close for about 4 yrs or more , since I met my boyfriend and I have plans with him she gets so mad she sends me hateful ,mean text messages that are so upsetting I get depressed for a week or two at a time. She says that I don't care and she...

My 8 year old is hitting her older sister and younger brother [ 18 Answers ]

Please help me, I am at my wits end with my 8 year old daughter. She had been hitting my 11 year old daughter. My oldest is watching the kids after school and this summer and the hitting has escalated and now she is hitting the 5 year old son. I have tried to reason with her, time out,...

View more questions Search