Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    mcs9606's Avatar
    mcs9606 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 11, 2015, 04:20 PM
    Question about family law?
    So here is the brief story, I am 19 years old, my grandparents adopted me when I was 5, I do not know who my biological father is and would like to know, I have 2 leads and one person lives out of state, my mother won't talk to me about this. I cant say much more because its too personal. So my question is even though I am over the age of 18, can my county family court help me get a court ordered DNA test done? I don't want anything from whoever it is, I just need an answer to who it is mainly for medical reasons. My grandparents got the court involved back when I was 4 to try and find the person, my mother the name she gave and that's listed on all my adoption papers, is not the right person, I've narrowed it down to 2 people, with the help of my godmother mainly. Anyway I cant say much more because I'm very private with personal and family information. I hope I put this in the right category. I'm new to the website.

    I live in SC and the person mentioned lives in TN.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Nov 11, 2015, 04:36 PM
    No, you can't get any court to order a DNA test. It's an invasion of HIS privacy. (If you were still a minor and your mother were interested in establishing paternity, that would be very different.)
    Your only options are the personal contact ones, lots of delicacy, and thinking as you go. Good luck.
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    Nov 11, 2015, 05:23 PM
    Understand there is the real possibility he doesn't want to meet you, or know you... or give you any information.

    Yes difficult to believe... but its not uncommon when adoptions were involved.

    And want anythiing or not, since there was an adoption... there was no entitlement to anything. He might have a wife and a family now..and that would cause significant turmoil in his life. And could be one reason if he doesn't.

    But I can understand for reasons of family medical history if nothing else.

    I agree with joypulv. Finesse and delicacy MIGHT get you further (it works in many other things as well)... but prepare yourself in case he refuses to say anything or do anything more. Maybe he will at least give you that much.....
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,681, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

    Nov 11, 2015, 05:46 PM
    As noted, since you are an adult, you are on your own. No court ordered DNA since paternity for child support or survivorship is not involved.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Nov 11, 2015, 11:05 PM
    No, you can not get any court order for a DNA test.

    If you were still a minor, and your grandmother had not adopted you.

    And your mother still had custody, your mother, could file.

    But at this point, no there is not.

    Also as noted, it is very very likely that both men would not want anything to do with you, and in fact unless you knew they were the father, if you contacted them, and if they had a current family, and this caused trouble, they may have a civil claim in court against you.

    So if you must go ahead, hire a third independent party to contract them and ask if they would allow a DNA test. But do not be surprised if they say no

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family Law Question [ 3 Answers ]

This is a long story, but I'll try to make it as condensed as possible. My daughter is now 17 today. When she was 12 she had been a 4.0 student, had $13,000 in college grants, and even a signed plaque from the President for her leadership activities. She befriended a troublemaker, and got into...

NEW YORK STATE Family Law question- Father willing to give up parental rights. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have read A lot of posts but have been unable to find anything similar to my situation. I live in NY State and I am well aware that laws vary by state. After four miserable years in and out of court in regards to my 5 year old daughter, her father has vocalized that he wishes...

Family Law Question in California [ 0 Answers ]

I am the Petitioner in what I thought was an uncontested divorce filed in November 2009. I moved out of the house on or around that same date. My ex and I are using the same attorney. I can tell that my ex is dragging her feet yet I have been assured by my ex and my attorney that all the...

India family law question [ 2 Answers ]

I AM RAMAN FROM india , 2003 married, 2008 my life partner is some one are join & enjoied his life, she's joint partner called & give the wrong relationship message.. In between time she deliver the male baby. Now 2010 is running still now she's character is no change. I confidentially told...

My son in law has abandoned his family, no food, money,etc. Can Ohio law do anything [ 4 Answers ]

Is there anything legally that can be done in the state of Ohio to a man arrested when he disappears leaves with no money, food, heat, car, etc. with wife and two young children.

View more questions Search