Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    WWilliams's Avatar
    WWilliams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 8, 2006, 12:46 PM
    Parental rights
    My daughter is going to be three years old soon and her biological father has not been a constant in her life providing her with nothing emotionally or financially.My current partner is the only father she knows and has supported her.How can we get the biological father to sign over his rights?
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Dec 8, 2006, 12:49 PM
    You ask him very nicely. If he refuses there is little you can do.
    ordinaryguy's Avatar
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

    Dec 8, 2006, 04:08 PM
    You can't make him sign over his rights if he doesn't want to, but the court can order him to pay child support and garnishee his wages if he doesn't do it willingly. If he doesn't really care about his daughter, confronting the possibility of paying child support may make him easier to persuade about giving up his parental rights. It worked with my stepdaughter's birth father.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,473, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Dec 11, 2006, 08:09 PM
    Petition the court for your partner to adopt her. You'll have to show that you've made every good faith effort to contact the biological father. Once you do you can request but not compel him to sign over his rights. If you're unsuccessful in locating him despite making every reasonable effort (and be prepared to document this for the court), then the adoption can proceed without his consent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

How do I relinquish my parental rights as a father. My ex-wife has full custody and will not allow me near her or my child.

Parental Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Richmond Va and have a 12 year old daughter. At this time my ex-husband has full custody of her . He called and informed me that she wanted to live with me full time which I already knew but he said the only way he would allow that to happen is if I got the paperwork drawn up for him to...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Here's my problem. Im 36 weeks pregnant and the father of the baby doesn't want anything to do with the baby. He wanted me to get an abortion and has said a bunch of stuff like he would pay support but he doesn't want to see or have anything to do with the baby. Then he said later that he wasn't...

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother. I have a three year old daughter. Her father has never had anything to do with her and has never saw her. We had a DNA test a couple of months before she turned three, in which he scheduled a different appointment so he would not see her. He tells me he does not ever want to...

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I guess I didn't give enough children are in Missouri.I am 38 and by now I should have ny life figured out but I don't. The reason my mother wants me to give up my rights is the fact that she has had them for the past 10 years. I gave her guardianship of them when they were 3&4 they...

View more questions Search