Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ineedu1999's Avatar
    ineedu1999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 8, 2006, 11:42 AM
    How can I adopt a child (not my biological child) from my ex
    When I met my ex, she has a 2 yrs old child. While we were married, the child start to think of me as his dad and I've kept that relationship even after our divorce. Now, we are divorced, but the child is with me and my ex and has never seen his biological father. My ex is feeling sick now, and she wants to make sure that if something happens to her, the child doesn't go back to his biological father. Is there a way for me to adopt the child? OR, can my ex mother-in-law adopt the child? I have good relationship with my ex's family, so if the child's grand mother can adopt him legally, then I will take care of him, but on papers it will show her as his legal guardian. Thanks.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,970, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Dec 8, 2006, 11:48 AM
    For you to adopt the biological father would have to formally relinquish his rights. Also the fact that you are no longer married may hinder things.

    What I would recommend is that your ex make out a will. In the will she should name her mother and you as joint guardians for the child. I think that would be better then doing a formal adoption now
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,473, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Dec 11, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Petition the court to adopt the child. You and your ex will have to make every good faith attempt to locate the biological father and document your efforts to the court's satisfaction. He can contest the adoption. If he does, then it'll be that much harder for you or anyone else to adopt the child. If he consents or if you never manage to locate him despite your best efforts, then I'd think you'd get precedence over your ex mother-in-;aw.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to adopt my wife's child no father on birthcertificate [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married since Sep 2000 and were living togeather in March of the same year. She has 2 children by two different fathers. The oldest one's father is in the picture and active in her life. The youngest 8 yrs old now, has never seen her birth father and has lived with me since...

Child Support and Child Custody [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering If child support and child custody are the same. I have a six year old daughter and I want to see her badly but her mother is holding child support over my head. I'm not saying she shouldn't but I have given her money on many occasions and for a year consitantly. Yet she refuses to...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support after child is 18 yrs. Of age [ 5 Answers ]

If there is a court order in a divorce decree that the spouse is to pay child support until the child is 18 yrs. Old or until out of school, but the child support was never received, nor was it taken before Family and Children's services to enforce it to be done, is it possible years later (child...

Must he adopt his own child [ 3 Answers ]

Looking for information on Tn. Law when a man is married to one woman and is having a baby with another woman, must he adopt his own child

View more questions Search