Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    MymayBaby's Avatar
    MymayBaby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 14, 2006, 04:44 PM
    How does a guy go about giving up his rights to a baby?. he has no attachment to the baby, wasn't there during pregnancy or after the birth. Will he still be required to pay child support? This child lives in Utah and he lives out of state. Does anyone know the laws in Utah? Or how to sign over rights.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,277, Reputation: 7690

    Sep 14, 2006, 05:09 PM
    Hello, you can't just give up your rights, the mother will have to agree to let you give them up. And most likely since she can force you to pay child support till the child is 18, I would not see why she would do that.

    So you call the mother of the child up and say can I sign my rights away, and if she don't laugh at you, you hire an attorney you both sign the legal papers and present them to a judge.

    If men could merely give their rights away and not be forced to pay child support millions would do it tomorrow.

    You can have only know the women 20 minutes and never see her or the baby again, but you have legal rights and responsiblitles to pay for the welfare of that child, and you can't give that away unless the mother and the court agrees.
    mysticque's Avatar
    mysticque Posts: 95, Reputation: -7

    Sep 15, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Well posted
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,473, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Sep 25, 2006, 08:02 PM
    The only way you could "sign over your rights" and be released from the obligation of child support is if someone else were to adopt your child. You'd have to give your consent for that to happen. Once it did, your rights and responsibilities would be terminated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search