Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    jujudug's Avatar
    jujudug Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 21, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Child abandonment laws
    My fiancÚ would like me to adopt her four year old son, as would I. The child's father has only seen him a couple times and has had no contact with him in a year. He only pays his child support to get out of jail or else to keep from going to jail he will make a quick payment to save his own butt! He makes no attempt to visit or contact his child, the only time he ever came around in the past was a few times very late at night when he knew the child was in bed. His only concern was the child's mother, as he never asked about his child or even acknowledged him during these visits. During the last court proceeding which was for delinquent child support, the child's father verbally attacked the mother outside the court room, asking about her buissines, but once again forgetting to acknowledge the chld even existed. How can we go about getting this procedure on the ball, and what chance do we have of getting his rights taken away, as it has become very obvious that he cares nothing about the child, he is a well known drug dealer in the area and the judge ruling over the previous proceeding has had him in drug cases before yet he lowered his child support payments because he has no job, and has not had one since the child has been born. What do we do? Ps we live in Indiana
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Mar 21, 2007, 10:01 AM
    First you get married. After you are married you petition family court to adopt the child. Part of that process will be getting the father to relinquish his rights. Since the adoption will end his financial responsibility sounds like he shouldn't have a problem doing it.

    If he's unwilling to sign, then you would have to petititon the court to end his rights, a possibility given what you've told us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NC Child Abandonment Laws [ 4 Answers ]

My name is Brandi and I like in Gaston County, NC. I have a five year old son with an ex boyfriend, and I encounter the ongoing problem that the ex, whom I will call Travis, has little to no concern for his son. We have not gone to court for custody, because I can't afford it and the state won't...

Child abandonment [ 5 Answers ]

Could somebody please tell me what the laws are on child abandonment in the state of Pennsylvania? I've looked it up, but I always find it on other states and not the one I need.

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child abandonment [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We are having to relocate to a different state due to being laid off from work. I have a 17 year old son who is from a different father that refuses to go with us. We have 8 months until he turns 18. I am recognized on the birth certificate as his father though we have DNA proof that the...

Child abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My fathers son has had no contact of paid no support for 1 year, I would like to know if there is any way I can get him for abandonment with out having to retain a lawyer.

View more questions Search