Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    osmon25 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2010, 07:05 PM
    Are doctors obligated to inform paitent of all findings
    I got my medical records which said I have multiple things wrong with me. The hospital staff didn't inform me about any of them. Are they legally obligated to disclose all information on findings to me at time of service?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 07:22 PM

What were you seen in the hospital for, do you have a primary doctor who they would have forwarded these to ?

What was not told to you ?

Apr 29, 2010, 07:42 PM

I went in complaining of abdominal pain. I was told after a CT and ultrasound that the cause of the pain was not found. And they sent me home. In my medical records it says I have multiple cysts in both kidney, in cervix(which was partially removed in a leap) a calcium clot in the mid pelvic region and scattered diverticula. Also at the second hospital they found same as well as a diagnosis of acute pancreatitis, but still sent me home. It wasn't until I got my medical records from both did I find this information out.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 06:17 AM

Hello o:

I don't know what doctors are required to tell you. What I DO know, is they are required NOT to commit malpractice on you, and in your case, they MIGHT have.

The only way to determine if they did, is to visit a lawyer. Did you suffer damages because they didn't tell you?? If you did, and I hope you didn't, but if you did, that will make your case for you.

excon
    BabiixG Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Apr 30, 2010, 06:25 AM

It won't let me agree but yea if their negligence caused damage to you... LAWSUIT!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 08:08 AM

Yes I would say that something sounds wrong, yes you should have been informed
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2010, 11:58 AM

With those types of medical findings I'm surprised you are still alive and not IN the hospital. Yes, that hospital messed up big time and should have fully informed you of your medical problems. Did you have a doctor who ordered these tests? What did that doctor tell you?

How could you be in 2 hospitals without a doctor ordering these tests?

Also acute pancreatitis is life threatening. Are you being treated for this at all by any doctor?

Apr 30, 2010, 12:52 PM

Thank you for your answers, and in response, no I was not treated for the pancreatitis other then them telling me to take prevacid. The doctor at that hospital never even came back to tell me about it. The nurse gave me my discharge papers and sent me on my way. It was only after I read them that I knew. My health insurance was not active at the time and I think that had a lot to do with my care. And my insurance paid for that visit any way. The er doctors are the ones that ordered all the tests they did. They just told me it was unknown why I was in pain. Once I spoke with MY personal doctor and informed her about my pancreas. She became concerned and asked me to get my records asap. It was then that I discovered all the other things going on. That 2 diff hospitals failed to infrom me of. And I'm only 25, I think all the things wrong would set off an alarm in any doctors eyes but not them. Very scared..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2010, 01:47 PM
    They are not required to inform you directly if you listed a primary care physician. They would want to inform the PCP and let them devise an care plan for you. But if you didn't have one listed, and they found things seriously wrong with you and discharged you without explanation, then you would appear to have a case against. Or, if you had a PCP listed and they didn't inform them you also have a case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Inform me of this art's value? [ 9 Answers ]

Could you possibly identify this artist's signature, or inform me of the value? I would greatly appreciate your help ,, i recieved this painting from my grandmother ,whom always told me stories of one day, i could sell it for lots of money, if ever in the need.... well , its been over ten years......

Alzheimer's Paitent [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a friend of my roommate and he has a Sister that has a father-in-law that is an Alzheimer's Paitent. Her husband is the Executrix to the will and makes all the decisions for him. I know that they are taking advantage of him, a lot of his stuff is coming up missing and they are selling it. I see...

Who do I inform that I am married? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm from australia I have a friend who is pakistani but she has been here in aus from past 10 yearz she is Australian citizen like last month she went to her home country and she married a guy like secretly no one knowz now she came to australia and she doesn't know how to tell the department that...

Rule 296Request for findings of facts and conclusions of law [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I am sick with worry! Recently I was a defendant in a civil suit in which the plaintiff claimed my dog killed some of his goats... long story short... the judge ruled in my favor. Now this guy (the plaintiff) has hired an attorney! And filed a Rule 296 Request for Findings of Fact and...

Inform Me About A/C Before I See a Mechanic [ 3 Answers ]

Not last summer but the summer before last I had to add a can of freon to my 98 Ford Contour SVT and it was cold all season. Last summer I had to add 2 cans and as the end of season approached I noticed that it wasn't as cold as it was earlier. But, it was close enough to the end of season that I...

View more questions Search