Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catsareniice1 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Question about altering computer records
    My husband and I are divorcing. He spent and awful long time on the computer when we were together. I just recently caught him in many lies recently and am wondering if computer records, time on the computer can be altered to set someone up. For example, can times that messages were actually sent be changed.. He not until more recently starting spending more time on both of our computers.

I want edit to add that my husband would often times talk to someone that knows computers very well and take the motherboard and pieces apart.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Feb 25, 2006, 12:24 PM
    The current time on a computer is very easy to change to whatever time you want it to be. It depends on what type of thing you are concerned about. For example you could change the time on your computer and then create a document and this would have that as it's creation date. A bit like changing the date stamp on a camera - it doesn't prove that the photo was taken on that day, just that the camera was set to that date when it was taken!

In terms of hardware, pulling all the pieces out of the computer and changing them would not make any difference to the documents stored on it.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2006, 12:49 PM
    As Stu said, dates can easily be changed. Change the time/date on your clock and create a new document. You will see that the date is a different one that it really is.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2006, 06:22 PM
    First I'm not clear whether you are afraid he altered records are whether you want to. If the former, what records are you afraid he altered? If the latter, you shouldn't try to compound things by altering any records yourself.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2006, 06:36 AM
    HI,
    If you are divorcing, do you have a lawyer? I am not a lawyer, nor a Professional in that area. But, you need a lawyer, not his, to protect you, and look out for your interests.
    Are there things on your computer that have to do with your finances? Talk with a lawyer, if you don't already have one.
    I do wish you the very best, and good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

School records [ 2 Answers ]

How long are schools required to hold on to a student's withdrawl records. We have student withdrawl records formthe 1980's and 90's. Thanks

Access to parole records [ 3 Answers ]

Who has access to parole records? What exactly is in the records? And how do I get them?

Accessing adoption records [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I'm wondering if anyone can help me! * I'm adopted and have recently decided to search for my biological family. Thing is there is a lot of stuff about the adoption I don't know. I've heard I am entitled to view my records, but I have no idea how to go about it. If anyone can offer me any...

Serial Numbering of Records [ 4 Answers ]

I have a query based on a table with the fields such as firstname and lastname. I am running a report which list down all the records. But I want to print a row number / serial number as first column in the report. Sample SL. No. FirstName LastName 1. Sam ...

View more questions Search