Ask
    tnt357 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 11:30 AM
    How many grams of sugar can a diabetic have in one day
    How many grams of sugar can a diabetic have in one day
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 12:08 PM
    It's not the amount, but the type of sugar. "sugars" need to be "exchanged" at meal times.

The gycemic index of foods should determine meals, so you should not have pizza, white bread and ice cream in the same meal.

The gycemic index determines how fast a food is metabolized into glucose.

Refined sugar, sucrose, or table sugar should be avoided because it instantly spikes blood sugar.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 7, 2008, 01:42 PM
    I do have to add that this is a very broad question and cannot be answered in specific numbers.

One has to know what your numbers are... do you run high or low? Are you on insulin or a pump?

There are way too many variables here to give you an exact number. This should be discussed with your dietician.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2008, 01:22 PM
    The first step is to receive your Diabetic Diet from your Diabetic Educator or your physician. It will be explained to you the total number of calories per day that you are allowed; if you are overweight, you will have a lower daily total than if you are of normal weight. Often a overweight female will have a 1500 calorie a day diet along with a recommendation for daily exercise. You will receive lessons on how to take your blood sugar readings on a glucometer with test strips.

The diet is constructed so that you don't weigh "sugars"... you eat the food specified such as three fruits and three vegetables a day... two 4 oz portions of protein which you choose from a list, and so on...

With this diet in hand to follow, the physician can prescribe medicine(Insulin, glucophage whatever)that corresponds to your weight, prescribed diet... etc.

If you start eating refined sugars(candy, cake, alcoholic bevs), your blood sugar will go up as you will see on your glucometer. Then, your physician will prescribe more insulin to cover your sugar intake. If you eat a large amount of carbohydrates and fats(French fries for example), your blood sugar will go up. All overeating will cause blood sugar increases, protein the least as only about half the calories of protein(meat, tuna)effect the blood sugar levels.

There are terrible consequences from screwing around with sugars when diabetic. Know this for a fact.

Best wishes in 2008! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who remade the Archies song "Sugar Sugar"? [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: Please, who's the artist who remade the Archies song "Sugar Sugar" with changed lyrics.. "Honey, I gotta lotta money.."?

Sugar grams [ 1 Answers ]

How many sugar grams should we have per day, for a healthy diet?

Mole to grams/grams to moles [ 2 Answers ]

I have no idea out to convert grams to moles I just don't get it... I need help please

How many grams of sugar [ 4 Answers ]

How many grams sugar should a healthy adult have a day?

Diabetes: How much sugar should a diabetic limited to? [ 3 Answers ]

How much sugar should a diabetic be limited to? (gram per day or week?)

View more questions Search