Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magiccatdancing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2007, 12:33 AM
    Appraisal Lien
    I was trying to get a Second Mortgage on my home and the finance company has been ethically horrible all the way through it, Global Financing, they told me one thing then another, had my house appraised and when I decided to go through another mortgagecompany after they had run me around enough, I put a stop on the check to pay the appraisor because I was told if you do not take the loan through that mortgage company you do not have to pay for the appraisal :confused: :confused: :confused: since you are not going to use it. Global is now telling me the appraisor is going to put a lien against my property, the mortgage company that I have now says that they cannot do that, never heard of it. Can they?
    :confused: :confused: :eek:
    KG
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2007, 04:58 AM
    Only a judge can order that to be done. They would have to take you to court first.

Tell them to go to _____!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 23, 2007, 07:19 AM
    Well, the appraiser could file a "mechanic's lien". This is allowed for someone who does work with relation to the property. The rules for filing such a lien vary from place to place, but not all involve obtaining a judgement in court.

If he can file such a lien without court approval, what it means is you would have to sue him and the original mortgage company to get it removed. If you have no proof that the fee for the appraisal was contingent on getting a mortgage through that company, you may be out of luck.

Why not pay the appraiser, get his appraisal in writing and submit it to the new mortgage company?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collecting on a lien [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lien against an ex-employer. (He tried to take over a small AM radio station but failed) Anyway, I took him to small claims court and since he failed to comply with the payment plan ordered by court I now have a lien against him for almost 5k. Will I ever see that money? I checked the...

Divorce and a lien [ 1 Answers ]

In divorce papers it stated that I pay a debt until pending final resolution of a divorce. Well finally got my divorce and she has yet to make a payment on the debt that has her as primary and a lien on my truck. My truck is not worth the lien so I can part with it. The problem is she gets a mental...

Lien [ 4 Answers ]

Can a credit card company place a lien on property?

Lien [ 8 Answers ]

I checked my account online tonight and all my money is gone. I called my bank's 1800 number and they said there is a lien on the account for 2000 dollars. I only had about 700 approx total. My account shows overdrawn -1768!! How can they do that? I never received ANY notice of this. I did...

Estate taxes, appraisal, and property sale [ 1 Answers ]

A family member died in 3/05 and left us two houses in California in a trust. We'd like to get appraisals that are hopefully below $1.5 million to avoid the estate tax. What happens if we then sell the two houses and the sale prices are above the appraised values? Is estate tax recalculated? ...

View more questions Search