Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrkni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2010, 09:29 PM
    Tax exemption for living expenses while working away from home
    I am on a job assignment away from my home. During my assignment, I am given a per diem that is treated as income (reported in box 1 on W2), which obviously increased my income considerably. While on this assignment, I am renting a place to live since it is over 2000 miles from home. How much can I deduct of my living expenses while at this job and what form do I use? Also, is there a standard rate for deduction?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2010, 04:17 AM

Now you can deduct these as employee business expenses as itemized deduction on schedule A (Form 1040). You can deduct the expenses that are more than 2% of your adjusted gross income (Form 1040, line 38). Travel expenses include transportation, lodging and meals or per diem expenses use Form 2106 or 2106-EZ to figure your allowable expenses that you claim on line 9 of Schedule A (Form 1040NR). Your U.S. Tax Return: Itemized Deductions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax exemption for spouse living in India but never visited USA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India and married. I worked in USA On L1 visa for entire year 2009. However my wife and children never visited USA. So while filing the federal tax return for year 2009, can I get a benefit of being married (spouse and/or dependent exemption)? If yes, please advice on the formalities...

Can I claim 21 year old living at home not working or going to school [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim my 21 year old as a dependent if he is not going to school full time or working? I do provide over half his income and provide for his living expenses?

Tax Exemption for L2A working spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I am on L1A visa and my spouse is on L2 (dependent visa). Let's say I process her L2 work authorization and she starts working (which gets her issued SSN) and our individual status per Substantial presence test works out as Resident Alien. My queries are as below - Can I claim the same...

Living in NJ and working in NYC, what are the tax issues? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in NJ and just got a job in NYC. What do I need to know about the taxes?

Tax Exemption for living in NJ working outside NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a regional salesperson, live in NJ and travel extensively outside of the state of NJ. I have heard that you can apply to be exempt from paying taxes in NJ if you live in the state but spend so much time outside of the state. Is this correct? How do I go about claiming this status? How...

View more questions Search