Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sarah Reynolds Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2009, 01:15 PM
    Pre-Tax Health Insurance Premiums
    I received my W-2 today, and should Box 1 on the W-2 be reduced by the pre-tax health insurance premiums I pay throughout the year? And if so the Wages, Tips, Compensation would be lower than the social security wages, and medicare wages in boxes 3 and 5, correct?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 01:29 PM

Yes, and no. Your federal wages reported in Box 1 is basically your wages minus pre-tax deductions for things like medical/dental insurance premiums, flex medical savings account, and 401(k) contributions. The wages reported in box 3 and 5 is basically your wages minus SOME of your pretax deductions, such as medical/dental but not 401(k) contributions. It may also include a few extra adders such as the cost of group life insurance that the company provides for you that is in excess of IRS guidelines. So for many people the amount in Box 3 or 5 may indeed be greater than in Box 1, but not because of pre-tax medical/dental insurance deductions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does filing too many claims increase my auto insurance premiums [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently rear ended by somebody. I had stopped at a traffic light and the person behind me didn't stop in time and hit my van. The estimate to fix it is $700 however my agent tells me that it's not a good idea to file too many claims with my inurance company as that might increase my...

We have no health insurance [ 5 Answers ]

My husband has diabetes he is 59 yrs old unemployed as I am presently. Neither one of use have health insurance, I have high blood pressure and we are non-smokers. Is there any health insurance we can buy out there?

Health insurance [ 7 Answers ]

Some of you may already know that I've been looking for affordable health insurance for my family. I have a few questions. What are these companies that I'm calling that look up different quotes for you and say that they will be your agent to deal with the insurance company? Do you have to...

No health insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend just recently discovered a lump. He has no insurance and needs to get a biopsy done right away. He cannot afford the costs, is there any way or anyone to help?

View more questions Search