Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitzinikki Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 07:50 PM
    Bank Statement Reconciliation
    I use QuickBooks to record my companies AR and AP each month. When my customers make payment they either pay by cash, check or credit card. At the end of each month I am reconciling to match my bankstatement but am having to force balance my account in my computer. Nothing ever matches any suggestions as to what could be going on with this account and how to fix the problem?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2009, 12:50 PM

Your bank balancew and your book balance are not in balance because of timing differences. At the end of the month there may be deposits that have not been posted by the bank, or checks that have not cleared the bank. There also could be checks that are NSF, service fees, or a note receivable that has been posted to your bank balance but not your book balance, and so on.

You need to do a bank reconciliation when you receive your bank statement to bring your bank balance into agreement with your book balance. Things like a deposit that has not been recorded to the bank balance is added to the bank balance, while checks that have not cleared are deducted from your bank balance.

Things like a collection on a note receivable is added to your book balance. The principle is recorded as a Note Receivable and the excess is recorded as Interest Revenue. Things like service charges are deducted to your book balance as an expense. Also there may be recording errors and the like that will either be added or deducted to your book balance.

When you get your two balances into agreement, then you have to do adjusting entries to record the additions and or deductions to your book balance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Error in bank reconciliation [ 3 Answers ]

If the bank make a mistake of recording a deposit of 87 dollars as 78 dollars, this error will be shown in the bank reconciliation as : Ans: deduction of 9 dollars to the bank balance I think this should be the correct ans, isn't it? Cos the ans in my book was addition of 9 dollars to the bank...

Bank reconciliation [ 2 Answers ]

If a check for $2,420.00 was returned with the statement was recorded as $2,024.00, under which heading do I make changes. I know I need to make it for $360.00 but do I do under balance per bank, or balance per books?

Bank Reconciliation [ 1 Answers ]

Jones Company had checks outstanding totaling $5,400 on its June bank reconciliation. In July, Jones Company issued checks totaling $38,900. The July bank statement shows that $26,300 in checks cleared the bank in July. A check from one of Jones Company's customers in the amount of $300 was also...

Bank reconciliation [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, My question is how do you prepare a bank reconciliation without a book balance? EXAMPLE: Bank Statement Balance August 31 24,500 Book Balance (Before Adjustments) ? Outstanding Checks 2,700 NSF Checks 400...

Bank Reconciliation [ 6 Answers ]

I need help with a homework problem... 1. For each of the following items, indicate whether its amount (I) affects the bank or book side of A bank reconciliation and (ii) represents an addition or a subtraction in a bank reconciliation: a. Outstanding checks b. Debit memos c. NSF checks d....

View more questions Search