Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lenderquestions Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 05:24 PM
    401k exemption for home refinance!
    I'm in lending and I thought I read something about homeowners being granted an exemption of 401k withdrawals if the funds were used in a hardship case because their loans were about to adjust. Any response or direction would be much appreciated.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 30, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Home refinance does not qualify as exception to early withdrawal penalty.
    You may be able to borrow money from your 401K account; check with the plan administrator.

A divorce-driven 401K distribution is QDRO (Qualified Domestic Relations Order), which qualifies as an exception to the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 1, 2008, 08:26 AM
    You may be confusing the various "hardship withdrawals" with withdrawals that qualify for an exemption from the 10% early withdrawal penalty. The term "hardship withdrawal" merely means that the 401(k) plan is obligated to allow you to make a withdrawal for a particular use - but any such withdrawal is still subject to both ordinary income tax as well as the early withdrawal penalty. Refinancing a mortgage does not qualify as a hardship withdrawal - consequently your plan is not obligated to allow you to make a withdrawal for this use. The list of hardship withdrawals is:

1. Un-reimbursed medical expenses for you, your spouse, or dependents.
    2. Purchase of an employee's principal residence.
    3. Payment of college tuition and related educational costs such as room and board for the next 12 months for you, your spouse, dependents, or children who are no longer dependents.
    4. Payments necessary to prevent eviction of you from your home, or foreclosure on the mortgage of your principal residence.
    5. Funeral expenses
    6. Repair of a primary residence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I Use 401K to build a home? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has almost 14,000 in a 401K that is currently just sitting. He isn't retirement age (and nowhere near it). We are in the process of building a home (the builder is going to purchase our current home if it doesn't sale at the end of the transaction) and we would like to use the money as...

Can I refinance my home with a 589 credit score? [ 2 Answers ]

Recently there has been some negative activity on my credit report that I feel is not mine.

Exemption for Early Withdrawal from 401k Penalty [ 1 Answers ]

As I read the IRS publication 575, there is an exemption to the 10% early withdrawal penalty that applies if you "separate from your job in the year you turn 55 or later". It looks like a fairly straight-forward statement, but I see a lot of discrepancy on various internet sites and have even had...

Home Mtg refinance [ 1 Answers ]

This loan sounds too good to be true since I have a FICO of 604 according to the mtg broker. But, have home which I own 56,000 on and it is estimated to be worth 180,000. So maybe that is it. Mtg is with WAMU and I have asked to refinance at 85,000 to fix up home. Closing costs 2200.00 0...

View more questions Search