Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahughes Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 09:29 AM
    How to pay my employee?
    My employee is paid a small hourly scale any where from 6.5-8 dollars an hr. I also pay commissions which is supposed to be the primary way to make money.
    Can I just pay him by check and give him a 1099 at the end of the year?

If it helps I live In CT
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2008, 09:36 AM
    Not if he's an hourly employee. It does not sound like he's an independent contractor. If he's not then paying him by check and issuing a 1099 wouldn't work. I suggest reviewing the rules on independent contractor vs employee at the IRS site.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Feb 21, 2008, 10:56 AM
    You said the magic words "My employee". If he is an employee you must collect payroll taxes, file them with the government and give the employee a W-2 at the end of the year.

If you need help with this let me know.

Shirley
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Agreed; if you pay an hourly wage, then he/she is an employee, NOT an independent contractor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doctor bill. Pay or not pay [ 5 Answers ]

I was working through workers comp claim. I was sent by my Dr to a Dr to treat me for depression. After I received a bill from the Psychologist telling me that my insurance was not paying for the bill and that it was my responsibility to pay her, I then stopped seeing her. Now I am being taken to...

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 4 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

Adult children/to pay rent not to pay on return to nest [ 7 Answers ]

Partner adult children home/dont pay rent - pay utility and tax. Returned home due to non payment rent/tax council house. Rising debts. Is it not a learning curve to adulthood to contribute rent

Do I pay sell my stock, pay off my mortgage or credit card debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Here are my dilemmas. I own a two family home worth $925,000. I have $95K and five years left on this mortgage. This home gives me about $1,200 in income AFTER expenses are paid each month. I don't live in this home. I have $135K in a 401K and approximately $135K in stock. I have...

Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit. [ 2 Answers ]

Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump...

View more questions Search