Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TallyMan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 07:02 AM
    Cash vs. accrual
    Please explain the difference on how revenues are recorded into the books of a cash basis organization and how on an accrual based organization. Please explain the steps you would take to convert a cash-bash organization’s financial statements to accrual basis.
    cdnk5 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2006, 10:57 PM
    Cash based revenue is recorded when cash is actually received. In an accrual system it is recorded when earned, which could be before you are actually paid. When to actually recognize it (when it is earned) can vary depending on the exact situation/nature of the good/service.

In cash based there are no accruals for AP, AR, prepaids, etc. Nothing is recorded until the cash has changed hands.

To convert:
    You would need to recognize any revenue that has been earned, even if you didn't get payment. (For example if you deliverd a shipment and invoiced it but haven't yet been paid. This would be recorded as revenue)

You will also need to set up payables for expenses incurred that you have not actually paid for.

Hope that helps a little.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 11:08 PM
    cdnk5 brings up very good and valid points.

My accounting professor says that if it wasn't for the accrural system, there would be no need for all us accountants!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K cash out [ 2 Answers ]

Could you tell me when and how much taxes I would pay if I cashed out my 401K which is $28000.00. Earnings for the year is $52000.00. Would that $28k be added to my income?

Want To Pay Cash [ 3 Answers ]

If I Was To Win A Sweepstake , And Won Let's Say 10 Million Dollars Cash , And I Seen My Dream House That Cost About $700,000.00 Dollars , Would It Be Wise To Pay Cash For It Or Get A Mortgage , Even If I Have Money Left Over To Invest In Other Things .

HELP 401k cash out [ 6 Answers ]

12/5/05 I left my employer and had a small 401k. I requested to cash out as it was small amount. 1/06 checked Manual life and account was still listed as active and open. I called Manul life to discuss closing account. I was told need special paper work from previous employer. So called again and...

Cash to accrual journal entries [ 0 Answers ]

What are the journal entries used when you convert from an accrual to a cash accounting method? And what is the theory behind these journal entries? Thanks, Michael

View more questions Search