Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sml0815 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2009, 04:43 PM
    My vehicle was stolen out a parking garage.
    My vehicle was stolen out of the parking garage outside my apartment building. I have a reserved spot that I pay monthly for. There are 2 parking attendants on duty during business hours. This theft happened in broad daylight between 11:30 am and 1:15 pm while there were 2 parking attendants on duty! There is only one way in and one way out of the garage and you would have to pass by the attendants to do either. Both attendants claim they saw or heard nothing the time my vehicle was stolen. Can I hold the parking company responsible for this in any way?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sml0815 View Post
    Can I hold the parking company responsible for this in any way?
    Hello sm:

Probably not. They're attendants, not security. But it's pretty cheap to file a case in small claims court. Who knows what a judge might think?

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 24, 2009, 06:02 PM

You pay for the spot so likely have asigned lease, read it. Dollars to donuts their disclaminer is in the lease, not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Sue them anyway.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You pay for the spot so likely have asigned lease, read it. Dollars to donuts their disclaminer is in the lease, not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Sue them anyway.

Those "we are not responsible" blurbs very often do not hold up in Court. You pay for a service and security is part of it.

Sue them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2009, 08:14 AM

It is always worth a try but then attendants go to the bathroom, if they do any parking of cars they are off doing that.

Does your parking area require them to stop at the "gate" ( is there a gate" and check out.

A car driving in or out of a parking lot is not really something they would notice, since it happens all days.

What are the "duteis" of the people working,
    1. do they check you in and out
    2. do they merely collect money from people going in

And again, the most they would have done is seen the car drive away,

Is this parking area secure, is there walls and secuirty up to keep people from walking in or though the lot.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 10:11 AM

I had my car stolen from an open pay lot Downtown some years ago.

It was found damaged. I sued the parking lot for the deductible - and won.

This was in NY but the Judge ruled that the lot owed me a standard of care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stolen vehicle [ 1 Answers ]

Hello could somebody please tell me if there is any help out there for people who buy a stolen vehicle and lose £10000 I had the vehicle insured but unfortunately it was on cloned plates and I did not realise until 3days after my insurance company did not want to no and I lost £10000 is there...

Payoff of a stolen vehicle [ 3 Answers ]

My truck was stolen 8 months ago. The insurance co is just now offering a "total loss payoff", truck value. It is only a few thousand and I still will owe around 8,000.00 on this vehicle to the bank. Do I still pay the note, how does that work. They claim the truck will be theirs if found, but...

Hit in a parking lot, my vehicle was unattended [ 9 Answers ]

I woke up this morning to find my car had been damaged by the car next to me this morning in my apartment building. I know this is private property, so I'm not sure if the police can do anthing. The car that hit me was in an assigned spot, and I was parked next to them. I've lived there for over a...

Stolen vehicle, my liability [ 5 Answers ]

My husband leased a vehicle under his name shortly after we were married. Towards the end of the marriage, I secured a loan through a credit union and paid the vehicle off. The original title and paperwork were sent to my husband, who refused to transfer the title into my name. Subsequently, the...

Car stolen from parking lot [ 7 Answers ]

I parked my car in a covered parking garage adjacent to the Seattle Opera House and it was stolen. Do I have a legitimate claim against the lot?

View more questions Search