Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbc1023 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Can I Deduct for Tuition I Paid When Not Claiming Child As Dependent?
    I am divorced. My daughter is a full time college student. Her father and I share her college expenses. We also alternate years when we claim her as a dependent. This is his year to do so. Are there any deductions related to her tuition that I can claim?
    geminigirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 08:55 PM
    No, unfortunately you can only deduct the tuition if you are claiming your daughter as a dependent.

Who Can Claim the Deduction

Generally, you can claim the tuition and fees deduction if all three of the following requirements are met.

1. You pay qualified education expenses of higher education.
    2. You pay the education expenses for an eligible student.
    3. The eligible student is yourself, your spouse, or your dependent for whom you claim an exemption on your tax return.

See Publication 970 for more info:

Publication 970 (2007), Tax Benefits for Education
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Agreed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tuition tax credit for dependent collage age child [ 2 Answers ]

My son's tuition is paid through Federal student loans (from the FAFSA program). Can we enter the tuition paid on our joint tax return because he is a dependent? We did not actually pay any tuition though, it was all covered through loans. We did pay for his books though.

College Tuition Deduction-Non Dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way for someone to claim a deduction for college tuition costs paid for their child if that child can not be included on their return as a dependent? The daughter moved out of her parents' home early last year. She was a full-time student for all of 2007, and her parents paid more...

Claiming a dependent [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Ohio and am a lesbian with a fiancé whom I have been supporting for the last 8 months, can I claim her as a dependent? And if I am able to claim her as a dependent would I get more money back that way or if we filed separately? Domestic partnership is available for gays in toledo now do...

Deduct taxes paid on new car bought in 2007 [ 11 Answers ]

What are the tricks/traps in deducting the hefty tax paid on a new car bought in 2007? Thanks

Claiming Tuition on Taxes While Working and going to School [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I reside in California and am working full time and going to school part-time. Can I claim the money that I pay as my Tuition fees on my taxes i.e. Can I use the money to reduce my tax bracket? Thanks...

View more questions Search