Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sandy Ray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 09:40 PM
    Fathers name on birth certificate
    Through DNA, my brother is the father of the child. At birth the mother did not put his name on the birth certificate because she did not know if he would step up and take responsibility. I'm proud to say, yes he has and doing an fantastic job. The child is now two years old and my brother was told by the mother she is not sure if she will put my brothers name on it.

My question is, can he have his name put on the certificate? If so, please explain procedure.
    Also, what gives her the right to decide if his name is on the certificate.

Regards,
    Sandy Ray
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Your brother will have to go to court and petition to be added to the birth certificate. He will have to do a DNA test through the courts. The judge can then order that his name be added to the birth certificate.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 03:45 PM
    Its not up to her whether his name will be on it. Did the DNA test come from the courts to prove him as paternal father and to collect child support ? If so he may just need to inquire at the records office and find out what procedure they use to get his name on it. It may not require any more court time then he has already spent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 05:00 PM
    At the time of birth if the couple iare not married, sadly in most states in the US, yes the women can decide if the man can or can not be on the birth certificate, To be added, the man has to petition the court to get his name added.

But with that said, at this point, the father should have long ago had him being the father proved in court by DNA and have a visitation order in place and be paying child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fathers rights if not on birth certificate [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old baby and I chose not to put her dad on the birth certificate. He is not in our lives and I want to keep it that way just in case he tried to be involved.. Do I need to make him sign away rights if he isn't even on the birth certificate?

How do I add my fathers name to my birth certificate? [ 4 Answers ]

My mother never put my fathers name on my birth certificate. (nice one mom) I found him a couple of years ago and met him for the first time and it was great and blah blah blah and he's OK with me putting his name on it, but I have no idea where to start. What do I need to get from him to do this?...

Fathers name on child's birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

How can I get my name (father) on my child's birth certificate Please help me

Adding a fathers name to birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

Now that Paternity has been established, how to I go about adding the father to my son's birth certificatr?

Adding fathers name to birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

How do I add a fathers name to a birth certificate that just has the mothers name on it. I live in Florida

View more questions Search