Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    totoryan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Friends family member passed away
    I was wondering what is the proper ediquette is for us to do since one of my husbands friends, GRANDFATHER passed away (3) days ago. Do we just send a card? Food for his family? What would be proper?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 08:29 AM
    A card, definitely. Food for the family? That is an honored tradition and you do as you feel led to do. No one can tell you that you have to bring food over. Is there a memorial established, such as donating to a favorite charity? You could do that, in the Grandfather's name. That is optional. It is going to depend on how close your husband is to his friend. One would not expect a casual acquaintance to do what a close friend would do.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Having lost my Dad, I can tell you with complete conviction that anything you do to comfort the family is appreciated and ultimately remembered. As shygrneyzs said, a casual acquaintance wouldn't be expected to make a meal for the family, but if you feel led to, then by all means, make them a meal.

No matter what you decide to do, I would recommend that you mark your calendar for a few weeks out... this is when people tend to forget about the family, not out of spite, but simply because its not as "fresh."

I'd recommend sending a sympathy card and flowers (or donating a memorial in his name) for now, but in a few weeks bring them a meal, cookies, or something that just says that you remember and are thinking of them.

You're being a good friend by simply asking what should be done. I commend you for that. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction of family member [ 1 Answers ]

My 21 year old daughter is continuously stealing from me, and admitting people into my property through her bedroom window. The police tell me that without an eviction notice, I cannot throw her out. She has been diagnosed with asbergers( a high fuctioning autistic disorder) and is presently...

Trying to evict a family member [ 5 Answers ]

I am a parent of an verbally abusive daughter who lives in my home with me. She is 35 years of age and resides here also with her 13 year old daughter. I have decided since the situation has been getting worse and I feel like a prisoner of my own home that after 7 1/2 years of dealing with this I...

Kicking out a family member [ 2 Answers ]

Hi- I have a retired uncle living in my home. My cousin asked me to take him in. He doesn't pay for anything but food once and gives me two bits to buy him the cases of beer he requires to not go into alcohol withdrawl. He watches TV and drinks and gets drunk all day and night and is mean and...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

View more questions Search