Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Branch1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 08:02 PM
    Strong Foul Odor when Switching from Heat to AC
    I had a new American Standard AC compressor and evaporator coil installed, keeping old gas heat system. When I switch from heat to AC a foul odor (like burnt hair) is so strong that I turn off the AC and open windows to air out the house for a couple of hours. Then AC works fine. When I switch back to heat, then switch to AC, the foul odor happens again. Both Heat and AC systems seem to work fine except for the foul odor smell. Any ideas what may be the problem. Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 08:15 PM
    ((had a new American Standard AC compressor and evaporator coil installed, keeping old gas heat system))

First step
    Call the people who put your new equipment in. You paid them to do a job and they should be the first in since they were the last out.
    Sounds like you have dirty sock syndrome
    They will have to clean and use a special coating agent only available to professional HVAC mechanics to seal the new coil surfaces to further prevent the odor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foul odor from vent [ 2 Answers ]

Out of no where, a very foul odor has been coming from just one cool air return vents when the heat is on or off. It seems to be spreading throughout the house. What is it and who do we call for service?

Gurgling and foul odor [ 1 Answers ]

Every so often ( sometimes more often) When we flush the toilet , we get a gurgling sound in the shower drain. We also notice a foul odor coming form the bath room, often when we have done the dishes , and sometimes just ever so often, more often lately. We sealed the toilet area, checked the...

Foul odor coming from heat vents [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a house and when we put on the heat for the first time in September, there is a foul odor coming from all of the heat vents in the house. I can't really pinpoint what the odor is, but it seems to be a sewer/rotten egg smell and you can smell it in every room of the house, but it does...

Foul odor? Please help [ 2 Answers ]

I am 21 years old. I was diagnosed recently with bacterial vaginosis and candida. I went to the Dr.'s, took the necessary medicines and when I was tested again, everything was cleared up. I use regular soap (not bar soaps because I have very sensitive skin, extra dry) I was told that products such...

Foul odor = Desulfovibrio [ 2 Answers ]

Dealing with a foul odor from hot water (no problem with cold water) that coincided with installing a new anode rod in the water heater. (Original info here: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=9811&highlight=foul+odor ) Got a "premium" anode rod and had the same problem. Experiments...

View more questions Search