Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jagsmunchkin Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Corporation started, had no income, do I have to file?
    I started a Florida Corporation in Nov. 2007. I decided not to go through with the job and my Corporation is sitting there. There was no income, just my loss of $70 to pay to start it. Is there anything that I will be receiving from the state? Do I have to file a return? Or if there is something I have to file, please tell me what it is. I have no idea. I do my own taxes personally for my husband and I so I am competent in taxes, but I don't know the rules for corporations. Thank you in advance for your replies. - Melissa
    Barry D Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 09:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jagsmunchkin
    I started a Florida Corporation in Nov. 2007. I decided not to go through with the job and my Corporation is sitting there. There was no income, just my loss of $70 to pay to start it. Is there anything that I will be receiving from the state? Do I have to file a return? Or if there is something I have to file, please tell me what it is. I have no idea. I do my own taxes personally for my husband and I so I am competent in taxes, but I don't know the rules for corporations. Thank you in advance for your replies. - Melissa
    First off You should file the Federal 1120 ( I am assuming this is not a sub s corp) if for no other reason then having a net operating loss carry fwd for furture years if you plan on staying in business. Second, you my have a "Franchise Tax" due on the state level. A franchise tax is a right to do business tax. This is EVEN if you have Zero income. In California there is a Franchise Tax of $850 for the taxpayers first year of biz. This is even if there is no income at all. I believe the state of FL is the same way. Back to the Federal side of this if you do not stay in biz you can sell the Corp Shell on places like craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums I had a tax client do just that. Hope this is of some help
    Barry D Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 09:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jagsmunchkin
    First off You should file the Federal 1120 ( I am assuming this is not a sub s corp) if for no other reason then having a net operating loss carry fwd for furture years if you plan on staying in business. Second, you my have a "Franchise Tax" due on the state level. A franchise tax is a right to do business tax. This is EVEN if you have Zero income. In California there is a Franchise Tax of $850 for the taxpayers first year of biz. This is even if there is no income at all. I believe the state of FL is the same way. Back to the Federal side of this if you do not stay in biz you can sell the Corp Shell on places like craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums I had a tax client do just that. Hope this is of some help
    jagsmunchkin Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 06:47 AM
    I don't believe my business is a sub s Corp. I don't need to sell it because my husband and I are both starting the jobs this year with the corp. so now I need it. And I am going to hire an accountact next year for the taxes. But I can't afford a $300 bill for an account to fill zeros across a page that I can do myself, at least this year. Where do I go/how can I find out if Florida has that franchise tax? Does that mean I have to pay $850 as a flat rate tax for that? Yeah that I don't have I am having a baby in less that 2 months! I'd appreciate a little more info if you wouldn't mind. Thanks much.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Get the accountant, even for a "zero" tax return.

A corporate return is a completely different animal than a normal personal tax return and is NOT FOR AMATEURS.
    okinawarules Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2010, 06:14 AM
    I read a book that really help answer a ton of these questions. Rich Dad's Own Your Own Corporation by Garrett Sutton. It is an amazing overview of the different types of corporations and how they work. This book further expounds on the post above. Get an accountant that knows corporate tax laws. If you do this wrong you can "pierce the corporate vial" which basically means that you are personally liable for things that happen in the company. -JC Ryan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to file Income Tax on S.S. Income? [ 5 Answers ]

Regarding filing Income Taxes (over age of 70), on Social Security Income? Is there an amount of Social Security Received for the year that dictates whether I have to file Income Taxes on "only Social Security" only income earned in 2007, or any other year?:rolleyes:

HOW to file taxes with no income [ 4 Answers ]

I had no income this year I only went to college,I have one child can taxes be filed

Engaged no income how to file? [ 4 Answers ]

I live with my Fiancé, and I am a homemaker. I have no income of any kind, and my name is on nothing. How should we file? Do I even need to file at all since I haven't worked in 2007? Taxes are so confusing. :(

How to file taxes without an income? [ 1 Answers ]

I receive 115 from Disability Financial Assistance from Job and Family services. I also attend college full time how do I file taxes to get the hope and lifetime tax credit and the telephone tax credit. The 115 a month from Job and Family Services is not taxable income. Any idea of how I would...

How to file taxes with no income [ 6 Answers ]

Hi... hope someone can help me, I am a full time student.. I live off school grants and veteran disability benefit money. This is the first time I have not received any income for a whole year. And I don't know how to file my taxes without a w2. But I do know that it is nessesary to file my taxes...

View more questions Search