Ask
    MAGIC59 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 05:47 AM
    Jewelry markings
    I have a gold ring with 333 stamped in it what's it mean
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2007, 08:20 AM
    It is more than likely the makers mark. A design code or something like that.
    kraz Posts: 57, Reputation: 6

Jan 7, 2008, 02:02 AM
    If the stamp is on the inside of the ring the following might help.

The stamps for percentage and karat symbol for gold expressed as follows:

333 - 8K gold
    375 - 9k gold (vey popular in the old world, especially pre WWII UK)
    417 - 10K gold
    500 - 12K gold
    585 - 14K gold
    666 - 16K gold (gold teeth and fillings)
    750 - 18K gold
    792 - 19K gold (used in portugal)
    833 - 20K
    916 - 22k gold
    999 - 24K gold
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 02:08 AM
    Very good answer above! These markings are called "hallmarks." What is quoted below is from the following site, and also supportive of the answer that has been given above. eBay Guides - Guide to Jewelry Hallmarks - History and Meaning...

Many European countries mark silver and gold with numerical fineness marks in thousandths, e.g. 800, 830, 900, 935, etc. for silver, 333, 500, 585, 750, 875, etc. for gold. Other symbols may be used in combination with these numbers. The British system of hallmarking is somewhat complex, but relatively easy to follow once the system is deciphered. British hallmarks include a fineness or purity mark, an assay office mark, a date letter, and usually but not always, a maker's mark.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old gold markings [ 6 Answers ]

I have an old (about 60 yrs.) white gold wedding band marked "18kt P". Could anyone tell me what the "P" indicates? Thanks.

Markings on very old ring [ 1 Answers ]

I have this old ring and was able to make out the markings inside. BK&T 18CT & Plat G35 Y661 (lightening mark) sw/c Does anyone know what these marks mean? Thank you for any help.

Our property markings I can't find [ 4 Answers ]

We bought our house and we can't find the marker except one ,the guy across road keeps yelling because he says we are destroying consevation land and we bought the land and we need to find the markers to prove it can anybody help? :(

Ring markings need identifying [ 2 Answers ]

I found a beautiful ring in a thift store. The stones appear real they are sitting in a setting that has openings on the bottom and sides so the stones can breathe. The setting looks like it is expensive. The stones look like citrine. The only marking on the inside of the ring is the word...

Ring markings [ 1 Answers ]

I broght a ring and wanted to know what the marking on it mean,markings are 18k GP. I know that 18k means 18 karet but not sure on GP.I think the P is something to do with the diamond.am I right? The ring also has an amethyst,could it be to do with that?

View more questions Search