Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiggerrk20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Puppy continues to poop in kennel
    I have a 7 month old german shephard who seems to hate going to the bathroom outside especially pooping outside. He goes through periods where he does really well but other times he will go in his cage. I am outside with him up to 40 minutes waiting for him to go outside and he seems to go in kennel.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 13, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Try walking him or other things. Exercise stimulates the body to eliminate. They can only walk and hold it so long. The one Shepherd I had was more difficult than most of my Labs have been. Over the winter She decided the ''right'' place for bowel movements was at home in the garden covered with leaves. Often she would put off, until we got home. They are able to go longer. This worried me when we would be out in public for extended periods.
    tiggerrk20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerrk20
    I have a 7 month old german shephard who seems to hate going to the bathroom outside especially pooping outside. He goes through periods where he does really well but other times he will go in his cage. I am outside with him up to 40 minutes waiting for him to go outside and he seems to go in kennel.
    I have tried taking him for walks at nighttime especially since he is going in the cage at nighttime. I was outside last night for 45 minutes and he finally went to the bathroom outside, but this morning there was a mess again. How can a dog have to poop that much? We do not feed him after 6 pm.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2007, 06:27 AM
    How much are you feeding him at each feeding? Can you move up his feeding time to 5:00 or 5:30? Walk him early evening, exercise him well to tire him out, and walk him again right before you go to bed.

GSD & Huskies are both breeds that aren't the easiest to housebreak. If they were ever given any opportunity to eliminate in a kennel as puppies prior to your purchasing them, they quickly train themselves to be comfortable eliminating where they sleep. If the eliminating occurs inside during the day when you are around, you need to train yourself to recognize the signals. Circling, sniffing, restlessness, are all signs that he needs to do his business. Labman may have additional input.
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 07:14 AM
    At 7 months, you could feed once a day in the morning maybe eliminating bowel movements at night. Unfortunately, Shepherds are bad about deciding somewhere is the right place, and better able to wait until they have a chance. I forgot to mention lavishing praise on him when he does go outside. There may be more such helpful details at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809

A well cared for Shepherd puppy is easy to housebreak. I am tempted to put up a picture of my Gretchen and the lady that had her mother. She now has Gretchen as breeding stock. I have a picture of her sitting in the whelping box with Gretchen and her first litter in her living room.
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Dec 14, 2007, 08:02 AM
    As a shepherd owner I have a suggestion. When you take him out to do his busniess do not play first. Gsd can and usuaslly have a very strong play drive. And going potty is secondary to playing. Walkthe dog until he's does his potty. Praise him and then play. My dog will forgo food and potty time to chase the ball. But he knows potty comes first and the play. He snine now and he still needs a goood walking to find the purfect spot.
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2007, 09:34 AM
    Do you have a fenced yard? Most of the time Gretchen was allowed out when she wanted. She was free to choose a time and spot she liked. We have kept Belle from her first litter a couple of weekends plus other assorted young Shepherds. Same thing with them. The problems were when we had them out somewhere. You can't just open the convention hall door and let the dog out. Some dogs don't like to eliminate on leash. Are you using a command as in the sticky?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy with blood in poop [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 9 week old poo-tzu, lstnight he woke up to go to the bathroom more than usual. This morning I noticed his poop was kind of runny, and looked like there may be some blood in it. Anyone know why this could be happening?? :confused:

Puppy won't poop outside [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a six month old miniature pinscher. I have read that they are stubborn to housebreak. When I take him outside all he does is sniff around and eat bugs but will eventually pee. When he comes in, he sometimes poops within 5-10 min. I have even cought him squating and picked him up...

Puppy poop [ 7 Answers ]

Does your dog or puppy's poop turn green (dark green) when they have eaten grass? Mine has eaten a lot of grass in the garden the last 2 days, and today her brown poop was half green.:confused: :D

Help! My poop puppy [ 9 Answers ]

I just recently adopted my dog a German Shep. X. from the local humane society and for the first four days she was great. So much energy. Now she won't eat a thing and keeps throwing up early in the morning. She is still pretty playful but you can see that she is tired. I brought her the vet and at...

Puppy goes out 50 times, then comes in to poop! [ 3 Answers ]

Help! My little 5 month old puggle, Wanda May, will ask (scratch at the door) to go out and we'll take her out and she'll just hang out there. She is extremely easily distracted (very much like a beagle), and then she never goes to the bathroom. Only early in the morning does she go right out...

View more questions Search