Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harco1011 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 06:06 PM
    12 Gauge Wire Used w/ 14 Gauge Outlet
    Hello,

I have a fairly new home I purchased. I am changing my outlets as I am painting the rooms (Laundry Room) and noticed that the previous home owner put in a laundry board (built in) and wired to the nearest outlet on the wall. They used 12 gauge wire to the outlet (from the built in iron board) I am changing that has 14 gauge running to it from the breaker (standard 14 gauge wire the builder used). Is it a fire hazard to have 12 gauge running the built in iron board from a 14 gauge wired circuit? Should I re-wire with all 14 gauge? Also, do you recommend I replace this outlet in the laundry room with a GFI outlet instead of the standard 15A that is in it now?

Thanks for the help!

Jay
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 10, 2007, 06:45 PM
    What is the wattage drawn by your laundry board? They used wire heavier than the rest of the circuit and breaker . It is OK to use heavier wire than needed for a certain wattage breaker but not smaller. Hang onto this for future reference. Wire sizes, gauges, for breakers
    RomanMA Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2007, 06:47 PM
    14 gauge wire is rated for 15 amps.
    12 gauge is rated for 20 amps. But this is irrelevant if the 14 gauge wire feeding the outlet is protected with a 15 amp circuit breaker.
    It doesn't matter what gauge of wire is downstream as long as the 14 gauge fed outlet is in fact protected by the 15 amp breaker back at the panel.
    It is advantageous to bump up the gauge of an extension cord for example, especially on a long run. A 12 gauge extension cord plugged into a 14 gauge fed outlet won't draw more current, it will just not heat up as much as a thin 16 gauge extension cord.
    Regards,
    Roman
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Harco,

Technically speaking, the entire circuit should be using the 14 AWG conductor. Because of the design of the receptacle they are fine for the next gauge up, 12 AWG.

As previously mentioned, 12 AWG will support a 20 amp current, however, if you choose to upgrade to 20 amp, you must change the entire length of the circuit. You cannot leave any 14 AWG. It would be a violation of NEC code and a fire hazard.

Because of the previously referenced amperage drain of the iron, I would suggest that the entire circuit be up graded.
    Cobraguy Posts: 140, Reputation: 11

Dec 11, 2007, 08:38 AM
    It is perfectly acceptable to have the #12 wire in your circuit with #14 wire as long as the circuit is protected for the SMALLEST wire in your circuit... in this case # 14 which means a 15A breaker. You must also use a 15A receptacle. So to answer your question, it is NOT a fire hazard nor a code violation.

However, it isn't something a professional would do and would be considered poor workmanship by many due to the potential confusion that could result with new owners. They could see the # 12 and assume it's safe to use a 20A receptacle and protect the circuit with a 20A breaker.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 11, 2007, 01:15 PM
    :) Cobraguy, please re read my second paragraph. I was not addressing the 15 amp issue. I was speaking of upgrading to a 20 amp circuit and leaving the 14 gauge conductor in the wall.

There is no section of the NEC that permits a 20 amp breaker on a 14 gauge line. The stated reason is that it is a fire hazard.
    harco1011 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2007, 08:07 PM
    THANKS to all the professionals that helped me answer this question!! You ALL are the BEST!! This site is GREAT!! Jay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refrigeration gauge [ 2 Answers ]

My refrigeration gauge needle vibrate when am taking pressure reading

Failed gass gauge and temperature gauge on 1988 Nissan Pathfinder [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1988 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4. The gas gauge and the temperature gauge would stop working at the same time when the car warmed up. They both would come back on periodically and then off again. Currently they have not come back on in about 3 months. How do I fix this problem?

What is the cable/wire gauge (product name) for installing 200 Amp Service Entrance [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new service entrance to upgrade my home electrical service to 200 amps. 1 Please tell me what gage wire is required from the meter to the weather-head? The service panel with main breaker is inside the laundry room 25 feet from the outdoor meter loop. I will run the...

View more questions Search